[Village Win] Assassins VII: Escape from Redemption [GAME OVER]

Rainboy

Assassins VII: Escape from Redemption [GAME OVER]

Post by Rainboy »

I am going to assume we will be having a low number of players, but I really don't want to have to balance a game with less than 10 players, so I am going to see if we can at least get that many. I haven't given a lot of though about what's going into this, but I'll certainly still be looking to put a fun spin on the game as I usually do. Signups will be opened now, and the start date will be Monday the 16th unless we have under 10 players or another host steps forward.

Escape from Redemption
Two hundred years before God ended King Murphy's terrible reign, the king's great grandfather sailed across the Great Expanse and conquered Redemption, securing a foothold that he intended to use to conquer the rest of Boswell. As the walls of the holy city of Redemption fell to the dark wizards of Emperor Klaus, her citizens fled... or died to the horde that descended upon her shining streets and houses.

Welcome to Escape from Redemption. This will be a location and item based game in which the goal for the village is to escape the falling city of Redemption. The village will win if more villagers escape than there are living wolves. The wolves will win if they reach parity with the village before enough villagers escape. The game will end when all villagers have died or escaped. When the game ends, all living wolves will automatically escape.

All players will have action points (AP) which can be used in various ways. By default, players will have 6 AP to work with each round. Players have several default options available to them each round. All players are able to rest, attempt to kill someone, move to a new location, search for items, use an item, or heal.

Resting costs one AP. Each round that a player does not rest, their starting AP for the next round will go down by one. Resting will cause AP to return to normal levels.

Healing costs one AP and can only be used if the player also Rests. Healing will remove any injuries the player has (see below). Players (besides the Brute) may not move on the same turn they heal.

Moving to a new location costs two AP by default. However, as the game progresses, the Emperor's army will gain control over locations, making it more difficult for players to slip out of them (and thus raising the AP required to leave). Starting R1, village players (not wolves) will incur an additional one point cost to leave the Neighborhood (meaning that if you leave the Neighborhood R1, it will cost you 3 AP). With each passing round, the cost will go up by one and the next tier of locations will begin incurring an additional one point cost. If a villager ever starts the round in a location where the army has over 3 control, they will be captured and killed. Players are not allowed to move more than once in a round unless they hold a Transportation Scroll or Royal Pass.
Formula (cost to move): army control + player injury count + 2

Attempting to kill someone costs a variable amount of AP, chosen by the user. Higher AP represents additional time taken to plan and execute the attempted kill. The target will automatically use any unused AP they have to try to defend against the kill. If the attacker has greater power than the defender, the defender will gain one injury (see below) for every two AP the attacker has over the defender. Injuries are rounded up, so if an attacker has 1 additional point, they will still inflict one injury. Multiple players may attack the same target (their AP will be combined for the kill) and a player may choose to split his AP amongst multiple other players. As the army gains more control over an area, the streets will clear of citizens and surprise attacks will become more difficult. For each level of control the army has on an area, defenders will start with two additional AP in kill calculations.
Formula (injuries incurred): (sum of all AP used to kill - defender's unused AP - army control * 2) / 2

Searching for items, like kills, costs a variable amount of AP. Higher amounts of AP spent will yield a higher chance to find an item, and grant a base chance of 10% per AP spent to find an item (it is possible to find up to one item per AP spent). There are a finite number of items in each area; if two or more players find the same item, it will be given to a random one of them. Thus, the more players there are searching for items, the lower each player's individual chance to find an item. In contrast, as the army's control of an area increases and the streets clear, it will become easier to find items. For each level of control the army has on an area, item searches will have double the chance to yield results (1 control = 20% base chance, 2 control = 40% base chance, 3 control = 80% base chance).

When a player is successfully attacked, they will gain one or more injuries. With each injury, it will cost them one additional AP to leave the area they're currently in. Injuries do not count for the purpose of calculating death from the army, but may prevent a player from leaving an area until they heal themselves. If a player receives three injuries, they will die. Players who die in this way will despense their items to attacking players. The Royal Pass and Equilbrium will not be passed, however, but will instead be dropped as a findable item in the location the player died.

Lynch
Since the game is focused on a village escaping the wolves, a standard lynch would favor the village voting no-lynch all day long while trying to escape. Thus, this game, lynch will greatly favor the village. Lynching a player will cause them to be investigated by the local garrison, losing 2 AP the next round. If the player is a wolf, they will additionally be injured twice while escaping to a random adjacent location, voiding their movement actions for the round.

Round Zero
This game will have a round zero. During R0, all players will be placed in the Neighborhood and allowed to choose one of the following three actions:
1. Move to any adjacent location to start the game there.
2. Search for items in the Neighborhood. 50% chance to receive one random findable item in the game.
3. Start with two extra Blue Potions.

Roles
Each player may choose a role during R0. Roles are the same for the spies and for the villagers.

Mage - The Mage starts with a Teleportation Scroll and an extra Blue Potion, allowing him to easily escape via the Teleporter. However, the mage is not used to physical activity, and will lose 2 AP per round when he fails to rest.
Merchant - The Merchant has a sharp eye for items and will gain a doubled chance of finding them when he searches (max: 80%), but the Merchant is not suited for combat and loses 2 defense and 1 attack in all combat calculations.
Knight - The Knight is well trained in the art of combat and starts the game with an iron sword and wooden shield. However, the Knight's heavy armor greatly hinders him when moving and he will pay +1 AP to change locations.
Scout - The Scout is nimble and quick on his feet, gaining an extra +1 AP (default: 7 AP) each round and spending -1 AP on movement. However, due to the extra care he takes in being stealthy, he also ignores one level of control when searching for items and has -1 attack in all combat calculations.
Thief - The Thief starts with a Scroll of Moonlight and may attempt to steal from a target player in his location each round. Starts with a base power of 3 which can be increased by spending AP. Theft is successful if the Thief has a higher power than his target's defense. If attacked while attempting to steal, the Thief will always have a base defense of zero (still benefits from control defense). Spent AP will be automatically added to defense if the target has no item.
Brute - The Brute is a hulk of a man, able to withstand great pain easily. The Brute will start with a Sentinel's Charm, and healing does not restrict his movement. However, he's a little thick and starts with -1 AP (default: 5 AP) each round.
Medic - The Medic is a kind soul, always ready to help those in need. When the Medic heals himself or rests, he may remove one injury stack from a chosen player other than himself (cannot heal the same player with both stacks in a round). If the Medic chooses not to use this power, healing will not cost him any AP. The Medic refuses the shed blood and cannot attack any other player in the game (but may still injure with the Iron Sword or Throwing Knives).
Assassin - The Assassin is a shadowy character, quiet and reserved. The Assassin will start with two Throwing Knives and he will always know who attacked him in combat. However, the Assassin will die if he incurs two injuries instead of three.
Oracle - The Oracle can divine truth from lies and can spend one AP to discover either the alignment or role/items of a target player in his location. However, the Oracle cannot rest while peeking and if the Oracle is attacked, his peek will be voided that round but the spent AP will be used to rest.

Items
Equilibrium - Any points invested in attacking are automatically added to the user's defense. All villagers start with one for free. Will always be the last item stolen by a Thief. Can be consumed to allow all AP to be automatically added to defense, not just AP used to attack. Cannot consume last copy. Villagers may spend 2 AP to get a new one if the old one is stilen. Cannot be found randomly.
Royal Pass - Grants the user the ability to freely pass the Emperor's army, allowing the user to move twice in one round and ignore the additional movement cost from army control. Always the last item stolen by a Thief. All wolves will start with one for free and may spend 2 AP to get a new one if the old one is stolen. Cannot be found randomly.
Blue Potion - Grants user one extra AP that round. Consumed on use. If two players find the same item, one will randomly receive the item and the other will be compensated with a Blue Potion. Also given out if a player finds an item in an empty location. Cannot be stolen. All players will start with one for free.
Blue Flask - Instantly consumed to grant the user three Blue Potions.
Teleportation Scroll - Allows the user to jump forward to the next location. May also be used to escape to Boswell Woods from the Teleporter. Costs 1 AP and is consumed on use. Can be used after moving unless being used to Escape. All Mages start with one for free. A few of these can be found in the Magic Academy, among other locations.
Iron Sword - Gains +1 attack when attacking. Counter attacks to inflict one injury if defending with more defense than attacked with. All Knights start with one for free.
Wooden Shield - Gains +1 defense per attacker when defending. Prevents counter attacks when attacking. All Knights start with one for free.
Throwing Knives - Injures target player and grants +1 attack when attacking them. Consumed on use.
Red Potion - Heals the user of all injuries. Consumed on use.
Ring of Clarity - Grants +1 AP each round passively.
Ring of Regeneration - Heals one injury per round if you have more than one injury.
Ring of Illusions - Passively moves the user forward one location (moving randomly at forks) if the user ends the round in Lockdown, or if the user is a wolf and is lynched (negates effects of lynch). Consumed on use.
Sentinel's Charm - Prevents theft and injury for one round. Passively activated and consumed when the user is injured or stolen from. Does not cause the Thief's AP to be applied to defense.
Shadow Charm - When activated, the user will clone himself the next round he enters combat, doubling his attack and defense for that round. Consumed on use. Bonus defense has no effect when calculating theft.
Scroll of Moonlight - Consumed to turn the user invisible for one round after use. Invisible players are not known to other players at their location (and thus cannot be attacked, peeked, stolen from, etc) and will be shown as 'escaped' to anyone at the Watch Tower. Also blocks the Assassin's automatic track and the retaliation mechanic from the Iron Sword.
Skeleton Key - Allows for escape to Trinity Islands. Can also be used to hide in a house one round, preventing the user from taking any actions besides movement but also blocking any actions (including lynch) on the user. Consumed on use. Many of these can be found in the sewers, among other locations.

Order of Actions: Skeleton Key -> Lynch -> Item Searches -> Thief Steals -> Healing -> Item Use -> Combat -> Oracle Peeks -> Movement -> Teleportation Scroll
Note: Injuries do not cause movement to cost additional AP until the round after they are received.

[signups open]

Come one, come all!
Sense? What fun is there in making sense...?
Karn

Re: Assassins VII [Pardon the Clutter]

Post by Karn »

Im in , but it would be preferable to kinda set up the gameplay, roles and concept asap, so we can know what we'll be expecting.

Spoiler!
Good to be back btw.
Rainboy

Post by Rainboy »

Karn wrote:Im in , but it would be preferable to kinda set up the gameplay, roles and concept asap, so we can know what we'll be expecting.

Spoiler!
Good to be back btw.

I will most certainly put my full attention to it tonight when I get home. I'll be updating incrementally, so you guys can always be as up to date as possible on my current plans.

I should have a rough outline by tonight or tomorrow night, with more detailed mechanics posted later in the week.

(Don't forget to post [in] if you're playing)
Karn

Post by Karn »

I know that , I just want you to know that i'll be kinda in until further updates and notices , then i ll make it its official.
Maki
Friend of the Community

Post by Maki »

[in]

Could we have a game where all the chat is made in this topic btw? I think that might enforce activity here and it's definitely something that would improve the quality of the games, especially with a low amount of players.
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

Maki wrote:[in]

Could we have a game where all the chat is made in this topic btw? I think that might enforce activity here and it's definitely something that would improve the quality of the games, especially with a low amount of players.
As much as I like those kind of games I fear they might not be adequate on nD.
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
Rainboy

Post by Rainboy »

Maki wrote:[in]

I've found that they tend to promote inactivity, actually. When there's nobody actively wanting to talk to you about the game, there's less reminders to be active.
Numble

Post by Numble »

[In]
You try to give your love away because you cannot bear its radiance, but you cannot separate it from yourself. To understand your fellow humans, you must understand why you give them your love. You must realize that hate is but a crime-ridden subdivision of love. You must reclaim what you never lost. You must take leave of your sanity, and yet be fully responsible for your actions.
Heart-Break
HATER

Post by HATER »

Agreed @Rain; fuck those type of games. I like my private conversations. Also, they're a bitch to enforce, as Rain found out in WW V. ;)

Maybe in. What type of roleset (open, semi open, semi closed, closed or ShutOut) will it be?
You must disregard the statement I am currently making because every statement I make is inherently false.

ImageImage
Big H

Post by Big H »

HATER wrote:Agreed @Rain; fuck those type of games. I like my private conversations. Also, they're a bitch to enforce, as Rain found out in WW V. ;)

Maybe in. What type of roleset (open, semi open, semi closed, closed or ShutOut) will it be?
What in heavens name is ShutOut?
"A wise man speak because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." - Aristotle
HATER

Post by HATER »

Big H wrote:
HATER wrote:Agreed @Rain; fuck those type of games. I like my private conversations. Also, they're a bitch to enforce, as Rain found out in WW V. ;)

What in heavens name is ShutOut?
ShutOut: Absolutely no information given except for roles and basic game specs, and even these may be partially or wholly untrue (modkill requirements and round lengths, however, must be true). Host deception both common and quite likely. High possibility for bastard hosting and other bastard mechanics. May possess a mechanic by which one knows that a host's words are 100% true (for example, speaking in bold text). Misinformation and deception are far more common in this type of ruleset than true statements are.

In short, it's the ruleset we use for mindfuck games.
You must disregard the statement I am currently making because every statement I make is inherently false.

ImageImage
Rainboy

Re: Assassins VII: Escape from Redemption [Under Construction]

Post by Rainboy »

Title and initial story text added.

This game will be location based, and potentially item based as well. I have not yet decided if it will be open or semi-closed yet. If it is semi-closed, the mechanics will be carefully outlined, but the actual roles will remain hidden.
Big H

Post by Big H »

Once the rules and/or roles are up, I'll decide whether to try it or not.
"A wise man speak because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." - Aristotle
MMage

Post by MMage »

A prequel to the other two Boswell games. I am intrigued and pleased.

[in]
Delicious tacos below. They're all mine and you can't have any.
Spoiler!
Image-Image-Image-Image-Image
Rainboy

Post by Rainboy »

Significant mechanic updates. Still tweaking things, and making items/locations. They will come within 24 hours, and I will spend Saturday tweaking things to my liking.

I am also pleased to say that this game will be OPEN. All mechanics, roles and items will be publicly posted. The only things that players will not know are alignments, item locations, and other players' chosen roles and current locations/items.

That said, it is going to be a bit of a wall of text to explain everything. If you don't feel like reading it, please poke me on steam and I'll give you the rundown.

Current planned start date is Monday at 9PM EST. This will be delayed if we have fewer than 10 players.

Return to “Finished Games”