Admin Meeting Outcome 09-01-2016

Pukata
neonDragon Admin

Re: Admin Meeting Outcome 09-01-2016

Post by Pukata »

Dangan wrote:
Waffle wrote:Yo yo.

Well I don't really play much these days, only when home alone or come home drunk and act like a bitch (off topic).
But I do come check on forums and see new posts and check whats new every now and then.

Anyways, I see some of the new members pop up every now and then when i rarely play, and some old peeps are still around. The new members seem nice and knowledgeable, but they are to soft on people, and tend to do bad with larger crowds, also the warning system and banning/kicking from CT team is really bad, where members never really explain to the guy/gal what he/she did wrong etc.

But I don't see why u only reqruit Soft/Nice people (from what ive seen in the later years at least, other than Re-reqruiting ex members).

I don't think ''Nice'' is a necessity when it comes to moderating a server that has alot of ''Trolls''. (not saying you have to go all nazi but still)

Just some thought's, Whatever.

I'm not really used to writing stuff on forums.. So applogies for the shitty writing/set up in the post..

-Mr Waffle (Sober)
It's quantity > quality these days. Anything too harsh would reduce the amount of players in-game. Trolls are given weapons and then members are being recruited to fight against the army with sticks and rocks. At the moment the troll army with weapons is too big for members to deal with it but hey, at least servers are full so who cares?
Incorrect, we need new members to keep the servers clean, and if we go by the old high standards from the "golden years", we wouldn't have many members left (since what u deem suitable, is in short supply, unlike the golden days) & the moderation on the servers will be pretty much non-existent. As for moderation style, its diffrent from each member, we have guidelines they follow, which has changed through the years (matured is the right word), but u cant expect new members to have a P.hd in gameplay moderation, and have them to moderate the way you think things should be handled (which i assume is banning everyone you think is a troll). New members need time to adapt and learn aswell.

As for both of your claims about our "softness" towards rulebreakers, with the high amount of players on JB lately, i doubt banning trolls results in few number of players on the server, but rather it is a result of the member guidelines, that have matured throughout the years, which calls for more patience against possible rulebreakers, and solve the issues in a more civilized manner, rather than throwing the banhammer at everyone breaking the rules.
Dangan

Post by Dangan »

I reported few trolls in chatbox some time ago and asked someone to come clean the server as it was impossible to command or get a round done without shenanigans. The answer I got was "nothing can be done, they fill up the server and as long as it's full I don't care." That's some matured policy right there. I reported few guys for racism and from what could have gotten them insta banned earlier, now took "more evidence" to strike them. Members are supposed to tolerate so much shit in-game that I wonder why anyone even wants to apply. Just look at the decreased amount of in-game time after gaining membership/newly promoted admin compared to what it used to be.

There are 3 pages of reports in 1 week which implies the server's are in shit condition and that's why members are being promoted to admins in such a fast pace. Admins are literally being promoted just to boost someone's morale enough to get few reports done in ban section. New admins quickly realize this is fucked up, quit doing reports and a new admin gets promoted. There's almost more admins than there are members.

Just now there are 30 ban reports unfinished at the moment. I'm calling a new admin promotion in this week's admin meeting (assuming it's happening this weekend).
These users thanked the author Dangan for the post (total 2):
Styx, austria_wien
Pukata
neonDragon Admin

Post by Pukata »

Dangan wrote:I reported few trolls in chatbox some time ago and asked someone to come clean the server as it was impossible to command or get a round done without shenanigans. The answer I got was "nothing can be done, they fill up the server and as long as it's full I don't care."
Can you pm me which admin said that, and what the exact context was?
Dangan wrote:I reported few guys for racism and from what could have gotten them insta banned earlier, now took "more evidence" to strike them. Members are supposed to tolerate so much shit in-game that I wonder why anyone even wants to apply. Just look at the decreased amount of in-game time after gaining membership/newly promoted admin compared to what it used to be.
Yes, racism in the old days would grant an insta strike 2, along with a 1 week ban (atleast when i handled reports) for just saying the "N" word in chat, but the punishment was found to be too harsh by some admins, so we discussed it at some meeting few years ago, and it got changed to a less harsh punishment. I looked up the guidelines, to get our stance on racism today, and the guidelines says:
Racism
1. Explain the player that racism is not allowed on our servers
2. If he used severe racist insults, shows clear racism or doesn't stop after your warnings, temporary ban him
Which clearly states, if members observe severe racist insults, and racism towards a player, it is an instant ban. This doesn't mean insta banning everyone mentioning the "N" word, or other racist words which in the old days would give you an instant ban, but if they go on to talk about how bad a particular race/religion/nationality is, then it is a severe case of racism which would fall under point 2 in the guideline for racism.

But i guess this was only an example of the negativity of what u claim the members have to put up with on the server, so i looked up the guide about our stance at harrasment between players, and toward members:
Personal insults against eachother
1. Warn both players to calm down and continue playing
2. Kick if they don't stop or use hard personal insults
3. Temporary ban if they continue
Does not seem leinient to me. 1-2 warnings, else out with the players.
Insulted by regulars
1. Try ignoring it if it was just one time only, because backchatting usually makes things even worse
2. Kick if he keeps insulting you (or does it regulary)
3. If he comes back and still insults, temporary ban him
Up to the particular member where the line goes, 1 warning is maybe sufficient and if the player doesn't stop, out he goes aswell.

I dont see how these guidelines differ from how we did things back in the o'l days, but i guess members just have to be reminded on how things should be handled.

Moreover last year we discussed the trollers on the server, meaning the players who intentionally shows negativity towards certain people, in the goal of pissing them off, and provoking an reaction, which we said would be punishable the same way harrasment is.
Dangan wrote:There are 3 pages of reports in 1 week which implies the server's are in shit condition and that's why members are being promoted to admins in such a fast pace. Admins are literally being promoted just to boost someone's morale enough to get few reports done in ban section. New admins quickly realize this is fucked up, quit doing reports and a new admin gets promoted. There's almost more admins than there are members.

Just now there are 30 ban reports unfinished at the moment. I'm calling a new admin promotion in this week's admin meeting (assuming it's happening this weekend).
For the non-jb servers, 90% of the reports involve cheaters (which sadly comes with nonsteamers, since some nonsteam clients come with cheat-programs). Solution would be to close down DM and surf, and gone is the vast majority of cheaters, since cheating isnt much of a game-breaker on deathrun, speedrun and roadrage atleast. Zombie plague, speedhackers is the biggest issue. But yeh, that is the conequence of being a nonsteam server.

As for JB, which again is the server i assume ur talking about here, the JB server has gained popularity, umatched since 2009-2010, since we made the server nonsteam, and since many of the rulebreakers can just change their IP-address and be back on the server, and causing havoc, it obv results in more reports, and isnt much a product of bad moderation/server going downhill. I can tell you, 2009-2010 was just as worse, and that was without nonsteam.

Return to “Old News”