What causes laptop's HDD to break?

Bob Vegana

What causes laptop's HDD to break?

Post by Bob Vegana »

This is the 2nd time in 2 years a HDD in my laptop has broken. Getting a new HDD does cost a plenty of money, so I thought it's time to put some care to harddrive's maintance.

My question is - What factors may cause the breakdown of a laptop HDD?

This is what I have and haven't been doing with my laptop ever since the 1st HDD reinstallment.

-Battery and charger work perfectly fine.
-My laptop does not overheat when on desktop on even when running any of the PC games I had before the breakdown (CS 1.6, Terraria, Plague Inc. , EHM07, small old DOSBOX games). Overheating, however, was most likely the cause on the 1st breakdown (dust in fans)
-I don't think I had any viruses at all at that moment. I scanned with AVG and Malwarebytes before sending my laptop to an aquaintance, (who found the HDD breakdown to be the reasoning for my superslow laptop speed, even in safemode) nothing found.
-Just before the breakdown happened my laptop seemed to work perfectly, like it all happened right out of the blue.
-I always shut down my laptop normally.
-Nothing suspicious in msconfig and /sfc scannow
-There was 5/6 of free space on my laptop before HDD's breakdown.

So I'm confused. Anyone has an idea about what could cause HDD's to suddenly breakdown like that?
Unown

Re: What causes laptop's HDD to break?

Post by Unown »

Your first HDD might just've been old, or you dropped your laptop once and it fucked it up.
Other than that, you send it to an acquintance? I hope he didn't screw the laptop open and messed around a bit because it's all really fragile in there so could've fucked up some contacts/wires.

Hardware isn't something you just look at it's all so easily breakable!
If noone comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Tough runs don't last, tough Runners do.
Bob Vegana

Post by Bob Vegana »

FEAR wrote:Your first HDD might just've been old, or you dropped your laptop once and it fucked it up.
Other than that, you send it to an acquintance? I hope he didn't screw the laptop open and messed around a bit because it's all really fragile in there so could've fucked up some contacts/wires.

Hardware isn't something you just look at it's all so easily breakable!
No, acquaintance is a master at this and he was the one to insert the first HDD into my laptop, as well as a shopkeeper at local electronics shop (mostly computer hardware/software on sale) He's 100% trustable. As well, he doesn't do it for free, wich is why a new HDD does cost a plenty of money.

I don't think the 1st replacement was that old, and it lasted only 1 full year in my laptop, and my laptop had never dropped. However, the original HDD could have been really old.

Either way - this is what could have broken my HDD as well, though, but am not sure.
-To be completely honest, my battery charger did tend to switch on and off on itself multiple times, but not everyday (could be due to disturbed charger's wireing). This would be an issue only like, once in 2 weeks? And it had been happening since late summer.

-I charged my phone to my laptop everytime it needed recharge, never used the fuse. I had done it for years now. Could it be the cause of HDD's breakdown?

-2 days before HDD's breakdown, a stranger used my laptop after my permission (he's no complete stranger, he lives in the same
building as me, just in a different room/apartment, and is a high school student as well), and to be honest, he did kinda torture it. Well, he didn't do anything fancy with it, only checked orindary internet pages (youtube, twitter, facebook, instagram), but he ran them all in the same time with a lot of tabs open (at least 10), and during then, my laptop did freak out multiple times by raising te speed of fans (they were real loud and high pitched). And to think he used my laptop all day, I could find a reason to blame him there.

What do you think?
stickysteez

Post by stickysteez »

Which brand do u use?
“Great men are not born great, they grow great . . .”
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

Modern HDDs have quite a high failure rate and the higher the capacity of the drive, the increased risk of failure. There are lots of things that can cause HDDs to fail but I think by far the most common is the motor for the disk head dying (le old Click of Death) this is actually fixable easily, if only you had a clean room (literally medically clean) all you'd need to do is pop out the old motor and in a new one =p.

As you have a Laptop you should try to minimise any shock the laptop (and subsequently the HDD) receives while it is turned on as shocks can also jam the drive motor. Also, it would probably be better to get an SSD if you can as these have 0 moving parts and such will not be affected by shock.

Also looking @ this chart: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... s-q3-2016/ I would completely avoid Seagate right now, those failure rates are insane....
These users thanked the author Konijn for the post:
Bob Vegana
Flath

Post by Flath »

I got a samsung 850 evo for my msi gx 60 3ae-212-fr and it is a life changer. Getting one for a gaming laptop is a must imo.

Shotex

Post by Shotex »

Can someone tell me, What is HDD?
Bob Vegana

Post by Bob Vegana »

Shota ツ wrote:Can someone tell me, What is HDD?
HDD is Hard Disk/drive. It's your Local Disk (C:), a (mostly) rectangle shaped piece in your computer.

This, for example.

Shotex

Post by Shotex »

CHAOS wrote:
Shota ツ wrote:Can someone tell me, What is HDD?
HDD is Hard Disk/drive. It's your Local Disk (C:), a (mostly) rectangle shaped piece in your computer.

This, for example.

Oh thanks , ik know what is hard drive,
Well to fix it you.may reinstall your windows if you can or call someone else who does. Disk C: , may be full of storage and u can clean it from some useless files.
Nothing can be wrong with that.
Gl
Army life

Post by Army life »

Hmm dit you remember the place where u bought it maybe it was chinchesee product
XD Try to recover you data maybe should it work or also dit you even drop you laptop at night :D
i also have a laptop and its even older than yours 400 gb hdd and still not breakinn for 3 years
Fbi law enforcment
Bob Vegana

Post by Bob Vegana »

I didn't ask, how to fix it. I asked, what factors could make HDD suddenly malfunction.

I won't let anyone attempt to fix the HDD. I will let them replace it with another, fresh one.

I honestly don't even know, which brand I used or use right now as replacement. I never really paid attention to that.
Majin Vegeta #BB

Post by Majin Vegeta #BB »

CHAOS wrote:I didn't ask, how to fix it. I asked, what factors could make HDD suddenly malfunction.

I won't let anyone attempt to fix the HDD. I will let them replace it with another, fresh one.

I honestly don't even know, which brand I used or use right now as replacement. I never really paid attention to that.
Western Digital blue is pretty good for the price. It's got a 2 year warranty as well. Or you can go for a WD black which is more expensive but has better performance with a 5 year warranty
Shotex

Post by Shotex »

Lol , I have laptop HP 4730s with 800gb and at once I changed HDD because it broke too because I have dropped laptop 3 times.
BBM

Post by BBM »

Hello CHAOS, Judging by my previous experience in HDDs there's three main reasons why they get broke/burned down:

1- Temperature: Heat, Avoid that and make sure that your PC's temperature is less than 60°
2- Software viruses: Make sure to scan your PC every week or so, Surfing the web is too dangerous especially these days.
3- Pressure: Over-using HDD and not freeing some space from time to time will cause your HDD to get confused and tried and then it brokes/burns.

Hope i helped, You can PM me for more information and questions.
Bob Vegana

Post by Bob Vegana »

Rakuzan wrote:Hello CHAOS, Judging by my previous experience in HDDs there's three main reasons why they get broke/burned down:

1- Temperature: Heat, Avoid that and make sure that your PC's temperature is less than 60°
2- Software viruses: Make sure to scan your PC every week or so, Surfing the web is too dangerous especially these days.
3- Pressure: Over-using HDD and not freeing some space from time to time will cause your HDD to get confused and tried and then it brokes/burns.

Hope i helped, You can PM me for more information and questions.
It was neither of them the last time my HDD broke, so I got really confused that time around.

Return to “Trash”