Suggestion for solving the swearing/harassing issue

k1ngfoxxy
Former Cleaning Lady

Suggestion for solving the swearing/harassing issue

Post by k1ngfoxxy »

So I was chatting with a friend of mine, discussing the whole serbian(and not only) swearing/harassing going on in Deathrun, and he showed me something rather interesting, which I believe would be a great addition to nD's servers.
Since we have a lot of abusers around, I'd like to suggest that an anti swear filter is installed on the servers. Apparently it requires almost 0 maintenance and it's very easy to set up.
https://forums.alliedmods.net/ <--- all plugins can be found here for free

This anti-swear filter seems to apparently be an amx plugin that has a configuration settings (.ini) file, in which all the words to be censored are introduced. (example : http://pastebin.com/A4dByiuG [it contains multilingual offensive words] )

There are different variations of this swear filter and they can fit almost any server and it can be set it up exactly how you want it. Also, the plugins are smart enough to exclude users with specific flags, like admins or VIPs, all depending on how it's set up and which plugin is chosen.
Last edited by k1ngfoxxy on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author k1ngfoxxy for the post:
austria_wien
big d energy
Unown

Re: Suggestion for solving the swearing/harassing issue

Post by Unown »

It's been suggested alot but there are some problems, the ones I can come up with atm:

You have to give in all the words that have to be censored yourself, this means that people can make thousands of variations for curse words (f.e. Fuck -> Fack).
Some words can be used to laugh, whilst other people will use them to flame ("that was such a gay action :'( " -> "you're gay")

Probably won't be implemented.
Last edited by Unown on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If noone comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Tough runs don't last, tough Runners do.
el mano

Post by el mano »

give me powers and i make them stop swearing easy :)
austria_wien

Post by austria_wien »

this german list has nothing to do with german. :D
dont know that mati is a swearing word. :lol:

furthermore you have to think about change letters with numbers. for example sh1t, nigg3r, ...
think there are many ways to go around it, but yeah its still a beginning ;)

why the harassin on DR is so heavy in comparison to the others?
OnServer: DrunkeN[aT]
My girlfriend said, don't gamble. I thought ffs ofc i will gamble. Then my parents said don't gamble. Now I am clean since 02/12/2014.
k1ngfoxxy
Former Cleaning Lady

Post by k1ngfoxxy »

@austria_wien : that list was just an example, and sure if this suggestion is considered, the list of words will probably be updated/improved. Why the harassing is so heavy? Might be the lack of moderation: if it's not punished why stop, you know? Also there are a lot of non-steamers of which 70% serbians that swear/harass a lot. Put it this way, I've played Deathrun for 4 months now, and I'm starting to recognize serbian swearing when I see it.
Well, most of them are just kids that get mad and start provoking each other, ending up in harassment.

@uno : I don't see that as a problem, and not to mention a reason to not implement this. Harassing will never be stopped, but this plugin might just diminish it, which is good. Also, as you said sometimes foul language can be used in a funny friendly way, but again, the list of censored words is customizable obviously, and it could only include words that usually are used just for harassing (i.e. : motherfucker, asshole, nigga, etc).

@mano : sounds about right :lol:
big d energy
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

So basically we are automating moderation nowadays? Why not just report them / warn them if you can recognize when they are harassing each other?
These users thanked the author Mystic for the post:
wei
Ayyyylmaooooo
Spoiler!
ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ṃ̤̯͙̮̺͚̩̜̫̮̖̳̮̭̣
nD is kinda like my Grandma, it's way beyond its experation date, mentally it's reached childhood again and it sometimes soils itself. But it just won't die.
-Jellow
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

This would limit when you're just casually talking, like "Fuck I dropped my wallet" and as Unownist said it can be easily circumvented.
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
minna

Post by minna »

I agree with shadi and uno.
Plus it wouldnt stop harassing, people would just rephrase their sentences in another insulting way.
And ive never really liked servers where something like "fuck" is cencored. You write a long sentence with the word fuck in it and whoooop its gone with "no swearing" text popping up.
Theres a couple fucking junglecats out here..
I live to kill and kill to live.

austria_wien

Post by austria_wien »

minna wrote: And ive never really liked servers where something like "fuck" is cencored. You write a long sentence with the word fuck in it and whoooop its gone with "no swearing" text popping up.
i know what you mean ;) since you cannot even tell others that they go to neondragon.com to read more to become vip because it is "advertising" :D
so it will end up in a better moderation. ;)
OnServer: DrunkeN[aT]
My girlfriend said, don't gamble. I thought ffs ofc i will gamble. Then my parents said don't gamble. Now I am clean since 02/12/2014.
minna

Post by minna »

^

Well that is ridiculous. Doesnt really change the meaning if its fu*k or fuck.
Everyone knows the true meaning anyways.
These users thanked the author minna for the post:
k1ngfoxxy
Theres a couple fucking junglecats out here..
I live to kill and kill to live.

Xaturi

Post by Xaturi »

Pretty old topic now but I still think it's a great idea.
Beats all the reporting and warning for people harassing.
And even though it doesn't completly cancels the swearing,
it still make it alot more bearable.

People who continue to swear in other forms such as: (fuck) fack feck or what ever,
won't sound as much threatening and if kept going could still get warned.

And for what Shadi and Unownist mentioned, you can still express yourself using a different form and people will know you are not specificly harassing.

Also having such a huge variety in languages to swear in we still could block out the most used swear words by the help of the community.

I really think the admins should consider this.

Return to “Trash”