I've got a theory

Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Re: I've got a theory

Post by Shadi »

Interesting topics with really good replies, I like the discussion and the honesty.

@Humm
The problem is imo also that some people tend to take too much offence out of nowhere.
Very often I facepalm when I see how fast regulars and even members from time to time explode way too fast.

You feed the troll more and more by being annoyed, the reason I was never a troll target is coz I decide to laugh it off or make the trolls funny for the whole server so instead of ganging up on them I make them part of the "gang" so everybody's laughing together rather than at each other. Maybe it's a gift I have and other people don't see it as easy so not entirely sure it's ideal to bring up in a discussion.

If they're gonna let everything bother them it's generally going to be really difficult staying anywhere on the internet. It's full of people who have nothing better to do than trying to annoy others and
I can easily tell you, there are several communities that are far more toxic and way worse than it is here on nD. ofc the aim is to mitigate this as much as possible and make an enjoyable environment. Let's be realistic though, it's impossible to make every person like each other or enjoy everyone else's presence. People are as such. Gotta get the best out of it and do your best to clean the servers and enjoy the game with the people you enjoy being around.
It’s sad in a way, coz I feel like a lot of the younger players are probably people who aren’t necessarily functioning perfectly in their daily social life so they escape to play games just to experience the exact same..

@Kon Not sure how this development happened but I partially agree, just don’t agree that it’s 1-2 years, I feel like it’s a much longer thing. Maybe it just became extraordinarily apparent/blatant by now though.

@Humm #2 post
I’m personally not sure that’s the correct way to fight back, uhu’s post partially comes in on why and I personally still believe we’d lose a lot of players due to what I personally consider small stuff if we were to hit much harder down on such people. In 2009-11 it could be beneficial because players would come in masses automatically so we didn’t have to be so careful about losing the bad ones.

@Lien
I will never become a moderator like that, not saying it’s wrong but representing the more relaxed moderator as wrong is a bit unfair imo. And before you wonder why I think you’re stating the more relaxed moderator is wrong it’s by the sentences of “Do what HAS to be done” and “but it is not too much to ask for to try to do your job accordingly” accordingly to your methods is the way to do the job or? (not trying to attack, I just think a mixture of the 2 moderation styles is what makes nD’s moderation team decent)

@Uhu, really good post. I agree it has probably boosted the amount of trolling on the server. However, not sure it’s necessarily a big facepalm nor a curse that has followed but simply the product of the change in moderation over the years. Your analysis of how it has progressed over the years surprisingly echoes my own as well.

@Unownist, I agree with your post, try do your best to avoid losing players, is it impossible to shut them up then gag them instead of waiting for an opportunity to ban them on sight of any rule breaking.

@LaaZy, what do you suggest? Rewarding successful reports? A lot of people find it lame/tiresome to report.

@Cell pre humm quote, but it’s already like that. If a member’s intuition is that the user has done enough they can ban them for it. They will have to be able to explain in a justified way if the banned user complains, and if they have enough evidence and think the user causes too much ruckus they can report it on the private section for members and admins will decide whether prolonged punishment is needed or not. Does it happen too much (strike 3) they won’t be back for a while.

@Cell after hum quote
Well I’d like to avoid the word being used in any offensive way, but using it through song quotes or once in a rare while giving out a “ma nigga” (as the meme) when someone does something cool is not something I’d personally witch hunt for. I am fully aware that the word is blood soaked over many hundreds of years but words change their meaning and strength, especially when they are overused. If you go back some years, the word “bro” or “brother” would only be used to someone you feel is EXTREMELY close or actually being a legit brother. You hear the street hobo call you it when they ask whether you have a lighter for their smoke now. The word God would represent nearly everything and now you can be the God of anything just coz you’re good of it. “You’re a God of CS, dude!” if you had said that in the past people would take it differently, ofc partially because religion has had a more major impact on society but it’s also coz of the overusing.

@Decency, having a bad day can actually cause this. However, it’s probably never the actual real reason. But giving out warnings/being patient as a first thing is only ideal. Kicking him without warning him of possible repercussions of his actions is pretty meh. This is an example of what I’ve said before though, I barely understand how you can realise he’s being a sad person yet let him get on your nerves. My advice is just calmly deal with it, by the end of the day, he’ll do enough for a kick/ban and you always have the edge. I can understand that constantly dealing with such idiots can demotivate you in the very end. I personally just seem to be able to put it aside and enjoy the gameplay personally. Perhaps harder for others?

@Babypanda
Yh, I get how such negative comments can make you feel like you shouldn’t play anymore. However as long as you aren’t doing anything bad or intentionally insulting people (within reasonable limits) you are the one doing the right thing and they are the ones being sad.

Conclusion:

Rest of the posts I don't feel the need to comment on. TL;DR: Just ignore them and get the best out of it, they aren't better than you so why let them get to you. As long as you keep doing the right thing and ignore them/take evidence, they either a) Leave you alone coz it's boring to troll a person that is "immune" B) do enough to get reported.

There's no way you'll lose, just be composed and have patience. It's good for real life as well.

I didn't re-read the post, so there could be mistakes/confusing things, ask/comment if you spot one.
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
Lien~

Post by Lien~ »

Ahh well I could've worded it a bit differently by the looks of it. I envy each member on its own because they are all are capable of handling things in a natural and mature way (not sure whether giving examples is a smart thing to do so I'll leave that out for now). However, there comes a point where all have to step up against those that cross certain lines. I see plenty of people (regulars, members and even admins sometimes) that can be quite biased. It's not a bad thing but it turns into one once you start noticing that the newcomers think it's 'normal' and 'allowed' to start shouting the N word and provoke the shit out of people. All members handle such cases differently, but I believe there should be a middle line in what has to be done and as such which 'guidelines' have to be followed 'accordingly'. Atm it just looks as if member A and B kick them and are thus being seen as 'the partypoopers' whereas members X and Y don't do anything (maybe say ''hey don't say that'' and then leave it for what it is, regardless of whether the person continues or not) and those are mostly seen as 'chilled' members. I just don't see the logic and don't agree to that either. Anyhow, oh well, this explanation is shit once again haha but I guess you get my point ;)
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

yh i get you.
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
.Cell.

Post by .Cell. »

Sorry if you got me wrong Shadi. Lien phrased it up a bit better as compared to I did. Apologizes to that. Was pointing out towards the biased side of people and not looking towards what's right and what's wrong instead.
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

.Cell. wrote:Sorry if you got me wrong Shadi. Lien phrased it up a bit better as compared to I did. Apologizes to that. Was pointing out towards the biased side of people and not looking towards what's right and what's wrong instead.
ah k, and np no need to be so formal :P

- Benjamin Franklin
ChillerBiller

Post by ChillerBiller »

We should not forgett, that Cs 1.6 is getting older than some players in the server ;) Here is a nice graphic from 2013, and it shows how hard the amount of players is decreasing in 2013. Don't forget, that younger player have many more and even better options to choose a game.
Spoiler!
As Shadi and Humm mentioned, there are often people in the server, wich are naturally negativ and aggressiv in a way, that i never noticed years befor. But I personally don't see how it's possible to change that easily. In my opinion, to make the JB Server more attraktiv, there need to be some small changes from time to time. For example the Ghostfunction, hats, whatever... For Regulars and Members this sounds like crap (and maybe it is), but for new people joining the Server it can be a reason to stay on the server for a much longer time and to get used to the server and stay regulars and join the forum... On the forum there are rarly people, that only played like 1 houre or less, and we don't hear theire opinion, maybe it would help to make a survey directy in the server, for people that are playing on the server for like 30min, and ask them why they stayed no the server for such a "long" time...

Just my thoughts about it :think:
Spoiler!
Pukata
neonDragon Admin

Post by Pukata »

ChillerBiller wrote:We should not forgett, that Cs 1.6 is getting older than some players in the server ;) Here is a nice graphic from 2013, and it shows how hard the amount of players is decreasing in 2013. Don't forget, that younger player have many more and even better options to choose a game.
Spoiler!
Yet it is still the number 1 game on gametracker.com, where cs:go is on a 4th place when it comes to amount of players. That graph dosent count the amount of nonsteamers playing, only the legal steam ones, and today, according to gametracker.com, 101288 cs 1.6 players are playing right now, and considering that the site does not have all servers in cs 1.6 on its list, and dosent register players ingame, but rather total amount of players on all the servers registered on the site, thats alot.

CS 1.6 is not dying, its still doing very well, since it dosent require much specs on a pc to run it, which means the poor countries (which makes up the vast majority of nonsteam players) can play it. Nonsteam also exist for source example, but not as many play it there compared to 1.6, so this game will still be very popular for a while longer.
nBi

Post by nBi »

Yes, people are still playing CS 1.6. The amount of Steam users playing 1.6 is lower, and continues to get lower. While the amount of non-steam users are on a lever going up and down (dont know about non-steamers). CS 1.6 is the game when you got some "memories" from (let's call it like that). It's fun to look back to some old vids, and chill a bit on cs 1.6 maybe. But it is not an attractive game anymore. It cannot compete with the new ones. Todays players won't go to the store and say "Hey, do you got CS 1.6". The games are developed and it continues. It is not really a way to compare non-steamers with steam users. non-steamers will play cs 1.6 because they wont try to get any other game unless its non-steam. And CS:GO is one of them, not many there at all.
Comparing CS 1.6 with CS:GO, not including non-steam, you can use the graph above.
Let's try to sum it up: CS 1.6 is an old game, still played by many, but the amount of players playing it (let's skip the non steam part now since they are weird) and the amount of focus on it is decreasing. New and better games are out, more experienzo and such.

CS 1.6:
Spoiler!
CS:GO
Spoiler!
^ :)

PS: just wrote something quickly.
ChillerBiller

Post by ChillerBiller »

hehe, i definitly prefere the old vw.
nBi wrote: CS 1.6:
Spoiler!
CS:GO
Spoiler!
Ok, i didn't knew that. So lets hope for many more years! But still for Jailbreak itself it doesn't really help if there are more non-steamers or not.
Pukata wrote: Yet it is still the number 1 game on gametracker.com, where cs:go is on a 4th place when it comes to amount of players. That graph dosent count the amount of nonsteamers playing, only the legal steam ones...
Spoiler!
Kermit The [email protected]

Post by Kermit The [email protected] »

Interesting topic, worth my five cents. In the old days, the rules were very clear. Sexism, racism, deliberate insults: Intolerable. Blocking kick, when repeated ban. Don't see why this should change for the sake of player numbers. problem with "" trolling"" is that it legitimizes unethical behaviour and stretches the limits of what is acceptable. Admin, members or moderators should have the keen sense to tell a joke/taunt from a deliberate insult and act accordingly. Avoid useless discussions, that works best. If you are in charge, do your job and dare to be daring :) it is what you are supposed to do. Having said that, I absolutely agree that those in charge should strive for impeccability themselves. Lead by example, and again, don''t start explaining the obvious, only leads to further trouble :) If everyone is clear on this subject, it is no biggy and imho the community will only respect this even more...
Honey, can you please put the garbage out first?
You know I won''t cum like this...
Jumps7yl3r

Post by Jumps7yl3r »

Kermit The [email protected] wrote:Interesting topic, worth my five cents. In the old days, the rules were very clear. Sexism, racism, deliberate insults: Intolerable. Blocking kick, when repeated ban. Don't see why this should change for the sake of player numbers. problem with "" trolling"" is that it legitimizes unethical behaviour and stretches the limits of what is acceptable. Admin, members or moderators should have the keen sense to tell a joke/taunt from a deliberate insult and act accordingly. Avoid useless discussions, that works best. If you are in charge, do your job and dare to be daring :) it is what you are supposed to do. Having said that, I absolutely agree that those in charge should strive for impeccability themselves. Lead by example, and again, don''t start explaining the obvious, only leads to further trouble :) If everyone is clear on this subject, it is no biggy and imho the community will only respect this even more...
They do know when it's a joke, I don't think there are more than two members who I never insulted and I ,as you can see, am not banned->reason: they know i'm fooling around. Problem is with fags that step over the line.
Image Image
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

Kermit The [email protected] wrote:Interesting topic, worth my five cents. In the old days, the rules were very clear. Sexism, racism, deliberate insults: Intolerable. Blocking kick, when repeated ban. Don't see why this should change for the sake of player numbers. problem with "" trolling"" is that it legitimizes unethical behaviour and stretches the limits of what is acceptable. Admin, members or moderators should have the keen sense to tell a joke/taunt from a deliberate insult and act accordingly. Avoid useless discussions, that works best. If you are in charge, do your job and dare to be daring :) it is what you are supposed to do. Having said that, I absolutely agree that those in charge should strive for impeccability themselves. Lead by example, and again, don''t start explaining the obvious, only leads to further trouble :) If everyone is clear on this subject, it is no biggy and imho the community will only respect this even more...
I 100% agree with everything you just said.
Lien~

Post by Lien~ »

Konijn wrote:
I 150% agree with what Konijn just said!
Maki
Friend of the Community

Post by Maki »

Lien~ wrote:
Konijn wrote:
I 150% agree with what Konijn just said!
I 200% agree with what you both just said!
Starzy

Post by Starzy »

What a pair of special people

Return to “Trash”