Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 17
Bravo

Opinion Poll: Editing during games

Post by Bravo »

Should players in a game be able to edit posts?
Spoiler!
Bravo

Re: Edit button

Post by Bravo »

Feel free to argue as much as you want but keep it clean.
Spoiler!
HATER

Post by HATER »

Moving to the correct section.
You must disregard the statement I am currently making because every statement I make is inherently false.

ImageImage
Blaze

Post by Blaze »

HATER wrote:Moving to the correct section.
obviously you voted no
HATER

Re: Edit option poll

Post by HATER »

For the record, I am against reverting this change.

Editing posts ingame is a tricky business, as it changes what would ordinarily be public information and makes it harder to track arguments and information during a game. Since often a timely slip of the tongue can make or break a player's public perception, being able to edit out slips or mistakes in one's posts instead of simply acknowledging them can impede detective work and sometimes be used to hide important information from the other players.

We used to have a rule that you could edit your post only if it was the last post in the thread and nobody had posted afterward. When GERTY was still running, the bot would enforce this rule by automatically reverting all illegal edits made to a post.

GERTY is no longer running, and in the meantime his absence has been abused on multiple occasions. Hence, the option to edit posts ingame was removed last year.

I don't support a change to this ruling until a viable alternative can be proposed that preserves the integrity of the public information in people's posts.

If the opinion polls show to be in favor of this, however, I will discuss the options with Numble and consider making a change to the rules.
You must disregard the statement I am currently making because every statement I make is inherently false.

ImageImage
Lawliet
neonDragon Admin

Re: Edit option poll

Post by Lawliet »

This is the only section where double posting is allowed, you're not supposed to edit your posts here since this can be abused. It WAS abused before Shadi took away the ability to edit from regulars. Just type another post with w/e you forgot to add or would like to change/correct.
We do complain about not being able to correct spelling mistakes, it's not that big of a deal tho.
HATER

Re: Opinion Poll: Editing during games

Post by HATER »

Though I will add that not being able to edit your posts afterwards requires you to actually think about what you say before you say it....which, come to think of it, explains a lot about people pushing to have it back. ;)

ImageImage
Blaze

Post by Blaze »

HATER wrote:Though I will add that not being able to edit your posts afterwards requires you to actually think about what you say before you say it....which, come to think of it, explains a lot about people pushing to have it back. ;)
Want the true reason. I spell wrong so often and I forget to add stuff so instead of just editing and fixinh the minor inconvenience I have to delete and repost it.
Numble

Post by Numble »

Hater and Lawliet pretty much said it all, besides editing posts mid game can be quite harmful to the game itself.

So if you're gonna post something, think about it before you actually post.
You try to give your love away because you cannot bear its radiance, but you cannot separate it from yourself. To understand your fellow humans, you must understand why you give them your love. You must realize that hate is but a crime-ridden subdivision of love. You must reclaim what you never lost. You must take leave of your sanity, and yet be fully responsible for your actions.
Heart-Break
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

IF editing comes back I only support it if we get an edit log that shows us exactly what was corrected.
These users thanked the author Mystic for the post:
Mendel
Ayyyylmaooooo
Spoiler!
ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ṃ̤̯͙̮̺͚̩̜̫̮̖̳̮̭̣
nD is kinda like my Grandma, it's way beyond its experation date, mentally it's reached childhood again and it sometimes soils itself. But it just won't die.
-Jellow
Bravo

Post by Bravo »

Agreed ^
Spoiler!
Mendel

Post by Mendel »

Not being allowed to edit posts is standard on most mafia games/communities. I think it stems from the face2face nature of game originally. That said, I play on a site where it isn't enforced by the software, and I usually do sneak edits in if I think nobody has noticed. When I host, my rule is, edits are allowed 5 minutes after the post is sent, because it would be hypocritical to forbid what I do myself. (Never been caught at it yet!)

It blows my mind that posts can be deleted here. But with that, you have edit power. Hit "quote", copy the text, delete the post, repost edited version, done. Looks scummy as hell if someone catches you at it (right, Blaze?), but so does editing. Does the forum software add a "last edited" tag automatically?

So my suggestion is:
* no delete
* if current_time-posted_time < 5 minutes, allow edit
That's enough to fix typos.
Somehow the brain does kick into "find more errors" when you hit submit, no matter how much you preview.

Alternately, it would be nice if it could be turned on and off on an indidividual basis, aka at the host's discretion. Then the sensible thing to do is play game with editing allowed and see how that goes.

The thing is, on discord you can both edit and delete messages, and if the forum refuses to allow it, people are just inclined to post more on discord and use the forum less

There seems to be no outward sign that this post has been edited several times.. -- and now there is. Will the wonders never cease? It counts only today's edits, not the ones I made right after I posted.
Last edited by Mendel on Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
no discord as well as you think you can't mate
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

so you're saying i'm ultimately preventing mafia from winning future games so I'm always pro village?

jokes aside, there is absolutely no reason valid enough to lift editing as it is now. If we get a decent edit logger, sure I guess? Even though posting again is also just a history of your posts and fixes so just seems like redundancy.

oh the irony.. edit: not to mention that if gerty gets rebooted it forgets previous commands if you edit out gerty commands right? rehash or whatever it was called
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
Patrick
Friend of the Community

Post by Patrick »

Shadi wrote:so you're saying i'm ultimately preventing mafia from winning future games so I'm always pro village?

jokes aside, there is absolutely no reason valid enough to lift editing as it is now. If we get a decent edit logger, sure I guess? Even though posting again is also just a history of your posts and fixes so just seems like redundancy.

oh the irony.. edit: not to mention that if gerty gets rebooted it forgets previous commands if you edit out gerty commands right? rehash or whatever it was called
Flexing?

Return to “Community Discussion”