View unanswered posts | View active topics | | There are 4 pending strikelist reports It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

#1 Post Refrain from replying in spam posts
Hi everyone!

I would like to ask you guys not to reply on posts that are clearly made by spambots. By doing so we are contributing with even more spam, even though we might think it was funny or whatever. Bear in mind that these posts need to be deleted by admins as soon as they see it, so we are only making their job harder.

Thank you!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:05 am
VIP

#2 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
Ok,

Sorry for this morning... just wanted to help :) I'll keep in mind.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 am

#3 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
pl0t wrote:
Ok,

Sorry for this morning... just wanted to help :) I'll keep in mind.
Yeah, no worries, I have done it myself in the past without realising I was only making it more tedious for the person in charge. So no worries, mistakes happen :)

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 am

#4 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
Dee Dee wrote:
Hi everyone!

I would like to ask you guys not to reply on posts that are clearly made by spambots. By doing so we are contributing with even more spam, even though we might think it was funny or whatever. Bear in mind that these posts need to be deleted by admins as soon as they see it, so we are only making their job harder.

Thank you!

like 99.999999% sure it takes the exact equal amount of effort to delete 1 thread no matter how many replies are in it. Logically thinking this whole thread is redundant.

nD is kinda like my Grandma, it's way beyond its experation date, mentally it's reached childhood again and it sometimes soils itself. But it just won't die.
-Jellow

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 pm

#5 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
Mystic wrote:
Dee Dee wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

like 99.999999% sure it takes the exact equal amount of effort to delete 1 thread no matter how many replies are in it. Logically thinking this whole thread is redundant.

True. We shouldn't mind people replying to it, it doesn't add extra work at all. I know I don't mind. If all, sometimes I notice those topics quicker if people have replied (stays on page 1 of 'view active topics' that way).

The thing I do wish people (regulars) would stop with, is making fake spamtopics themselves as that does create extra unnecessary work for us. Refrain from doing this or you'll face a forum ban yourself.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 am
neonDragon Admin

#6 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
It does indeed take longer to deal with spamtopics where a regular has been replying to. There is two ways of dealing with these topics, move and delete user. The delete user method is by far the easiest one, because we can choose to delete the posts the spambot made. The moving one requires us to ban the spambot instead and then move the topic itself to somewhere else.
I prefer the first one by because it's the easiest and quickest one. The problem is that replies from regulars to these topics are increasing the workload and clicks I have to do to deal with them.
I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but when a spambot has created 10+ topics and you guys reply to every single one of them, then it gets annoying.
There is absolutely no need to reply to these and it is SUPER OBVIOUS when it's a spamtopic by a spambot that will just get deleted/banned.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:54 am

#7 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
Patrick wrote:
It does indeed take longer to deal with spamtopics where a regular has been replying to. There is two ways of dealing with these topics, move and delete user. The delete user method is by far the easiest one, because we can choose to delete the posts the spambot made. The moving one requires us to ban the spambot instead and then move the topic itself to somewhere else.
I prefer the first one by because it's the easiest and quickest one. The problem is that replies from regulars to these topics are increasing the workload and clicks I have to do to deal with them.
I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but when a spambot has created 10+ topics and you guys reply to every single one of them, then it gets annoying.
There is absolutely no need to reply to these and it is SUPER OBVIOUS when it's a spamtopic by a spambot that will just get deleted/banned.
Topics liks these should be moved to Mod Private, as such the topic content does not have to be dealt with. These bots should be insta permed, preventing them from making more topics. Deleting topics doesn't work, and should be avoided. We need to be able to check logs etc. As such, having 1 or 15 replies shouldn't matter, as the topic itself gets moved to our Private section. This is how it's been done ever since I became a forum mod ~5 years ago, and unless I'm being told not to do it this way nomore, I will continue doing it as described.

Also, it literally takes 20 seconds to move the topic, ban the spambot and lock the topic (the latter isn't even needed per se). I get your way too, and where that also works, I feel as though it shouldn't be done as such. There are no records of the topics, what they posted or what their account got deleted for (in acp). I prefer the usual and oldskool way (I always prefer having proper logs, over something that ends up in bits & pieces and thus not accurate).

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:35 am
neonDragon Admin

#8 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
There is no point of permbanning a spambot. In cases with obvious spambots I don't see any reason to move the topic either. It makes way more sense and is way easier to delete the user directly since it was created with no other purpose than spamming the forums.
Not very long ago there was a spambot making 35 topics all over the forums and we had regulars replying to quite a few of these. It's unnessecary work for us and it can take quite a while to deal with - time that could be spend on more important tasks and moderation.

Edit: Moving the topic is also giving the rest of us an extra notification on the forums - which makes us more likely to miss replies and topics that needs moderation.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 am

#9 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
So basically, regardless of the used method, since there's two ways of doing it apparently, it's for the best if we stop replying in said posts.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 am

#10 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
I still don't see how us replying to the topic, is delaying any work from the admins though do they have to delete every post in the topic or?

There's no loss neither a gain from replying to the topic and is harmless as well.
Dee Dee wrote:
Bear in mind that these posts need to be deleted by admins as soon as they see it, so we are only making their job harder.
In what way does it make it harder for them?

Image Image

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:03 pm

#11 Post Re: Refrain from replying in spam posts
Sheep wrote:
I still don't see how us replying to the topic, is delaying any work from the admins though do they have to delete every post in the topic or?

There's no loss neither a gain from replying to the topic and is harmless as well.
Dee Dee wrote:
Bear in mind that these posts need to be deleted by admins as soon as they see it, so we are only making their job harder.
In what way does it make it harder for them?

It has already been explained in the topic.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]