Do You Believe In God?

Locked

Do you believe in God?

Yes
43
46%
No
51
54%
 
Total votes: 94
User avatar
Unown
Posts: 7478
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Summoners Rift
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Unown »

Big H wrote:
Unownist wrote:Concerning as to why a "God" would let all the terrible stuff happen:

I'd like to believe that God sees that we are getting overpopulated and that's a real problem, and since God sees all people as equal, everyone has a chance of getting ebola/ going to war/ car accident/ ...

That would be my theory -IF- and IF I believed in God.

I'm still not sure wether I do or not, I'd like to believe there is one, there is still some stuff that is unexplained by science, but there's alot of stuff that has been proven.

My answer is lying between yes and no, I'm not sure.
Well, since someone (I mention no names) thought I should take another look at this thread, I just feel compelled to answer to this post.

You say that you believe that the reason God allows all this crap (assuming you believe in His very existance) is that Earth is getting overly populated, and mankind needs to reduce it's numbers.

Now, please take no offence, but that's just plain stupid. The population of this planet has increased over the past couple of centures, and so has life expectancy. As the planets population increases, so does the avarage lifespan of a human being. If the reason behind God allowing all this death and destruction is the fact that he feels the need to reduce the Earth's populace, then why did he allow it a thousand years ago? Two thousand years ago? When the population of the planet was barely half of what it is today?

Nothing has changed, except for the fact that we LIVE LONGER now. God still allow us to die, just the same as he did millenia ago. Only thing that has changed (again, aside from the fact that we live longer), isn't that less people are being killed, but the METHODS of how we kill each other. The only thing that's changed, isn't the fact that more (or less, for that matter) people are being infected by deadly diseases, but the diseases themselves.

So, again, please take no offence, but in the future, try and think through what you say a tad bit more, will ya?
You think he allowed it all those years ago? The Black Death, all the wars, Floods, they've been there all this time. It didn't just start now.
If noone comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Tough runs don't last, tough Runners do.
Big H
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Big H »

Unownist wrote:
You think he allowed it all those years ago? The Black Death, all the wars, Floods, they've been there all this time. It didn't just start now.
First of all, you misunderstand my point. I don't say he didn't allow all the things before. I'm just saying that over-population could IMPOSSIBLY be an issue during the Ancient Era, considering that the Earth's population was less than half a billion. HALF A BILLION! How in heavens name could that be a problem? Tell me? We have enough oxygen to sustain any and all life on Earth for WEEKS (considering the current population). Then there are plants, who turn carbondioxide into oxygen for us, which INCREASES the oxygen in the atmosphere.

As for food and drink, well, more than half of the surface of our planet is covered in water. As for food: If we wouldn't be such fat pricks, we could survive on everything the nature gives us.

So, please, like I said before: Think through what you say before you say it. Makes it easier on all of us, and you won't look like an idiot (no offence).
Watch Your Head wrote:BIG H, could you widen your thoughts and maybe educate me on evolutions course and adventure to finding self-awareness? "Self-awareness is the capacity for introspection and the ability to recognize oneself as an individual separate from the environment and other individuals" Is nature trying to break free from it self? whats stoping other beings to become self-aware? the earth has been around for billions of years hasnt it? is there any recorded history of self awareness? why start now ? if you're so smart enlighten me.
The theory of evolution isn't all that difficult, really. You're just complicating things, as so many others always do.

Let's start from the beginning. When the first, single-celled organisms were created. How were they created? Truth be told, I'm not completly sure about that. I've been trying to read up on it, but it's fairly early on the morning right now, and it's quite complicated for me. Anyhow, these single-celled organisms slowly but surely changed themselves. Why? Because they created advantages for themselves, using the environment. This is what's called "Natural Selection". Organisms create advantages for themselves through mutation. The organisms with the advantages usually advance even further, and they breed more than the ones without the advantages. And so, they keep advancing further, while the ones who haven't mutated, remain in their orginal position.

As for consciousness. Every living thing has a consciousness. Everything from the flowers in your garden, to you. All the animals, all the plants, everything that is alive, has a consciousness.

But then there's this "self-awareness" thing. In response to that, I repeat: "Natural Selection". It's simple why and where this thing comes from. Like I said, everything has a consciousness. And exactly like physical mutations and advantages, we advance psychologically as well, in order to make life easier.

A little light-reading on evolution: http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/ in case you're too lazy to fucking google -.-
"A wise man speak because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." - Aristotle
User avatar
Watch Your Head
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm
Location: sweden
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Watch Your Head »

Big H wrote:

The theory of evolution isn't all that difficult, really. You're just complicating things, as so many others always do.

Let's start from the beginning. When the first, single-celled organisms were created. How were they created? Truth be told, I'm not completly sure about that. I've been trying to read up on it, but it's fairly early on the morning right now, and it's quite complicated for me. Anyhow, these single-celled organisms slowly but surely changed themselves. Why? Because they created advantages for themselves, using the environment. This is what's called "Natural Selection". Organisms create advantages for themselves through mutation. The organisms with the advantages usually advance even further, and they breed more than the ones without the advantages. And so, they keep advancing further, while the ones who haven't mutated, remain in their orginal position.

As for consciousness. Every living thing has a consciousness. Everything from the flowers in your garden, to you. All the animals, all the plants, everything that is alive, has a consciousness.

But then there's this "self-awareness" thing. In response to that, I repeat: "Natural Selection". It's simple why and where this thing comes from. Like I said, everything has a consciousness. And exactly like physical mutations and advantages, we advance psychologically as well, in order to make life

A little light-reading on evolution: http://www.darwins-theory-of-evolution.com/ in case you're too lazy to fucking google -.-
Lmao wtf are you on about, the most irrelevant answear ive seen in my life. You're taking up stuff that i didnt even ask you about, and by this time it should be as clear as glass. Are you avoiding my questions? Let me start over, as you're so sure about sience, ask yourself this. Is there any chanse that big bang is god? lets for argument sake say that big bang occured, does time apply to big bang pre explosion when the entire universe existed as a singularity? if not has it existed forever? what was before big bang? i mean surley something must have created it nothing can creat it self from absolutely nothing? You have to agree that there is a greater force apart from big bang. if not you're just being narrow-minded.
Image
User avatar
Vato
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Sweden, Malmö
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Vato »

Yes I believe In god and I'm not going to change that, I've been living like this since I was born.
Last edited by Vato on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kanyuu
Posts: 5744
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:00 am
Location: Sadism
Been thanked: 58 times
Contact:

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Kanyuu »

I don't want to get into the excruciating details, but personally I do not. Even though I may have been raised as a Buddhist, but my parents are very slack when it comes to religion so my upbringing in the beliefs towards the Gods aren't strong enough to overcome scientific proof. That said, however, I do strongly value the teachings of Buddhism.

Religion can be a great thing, as long as people don't get all in your face about it. Happens so often in America.
My Original Fiction:
Hopeless Me, Insensible You (Status: Complete [20 chapters, 2 extras]) ; Rising Feelings (Status: Ongoing [1 chapter])
Messing around with people :3
Big H
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Big H »

Watch Your Head wrote:
Lmao wtf are you on about, the most irrelevant answear ive seen in my life. You're taking up stuff that i didnt even ask you about, and by this time it should be as clear as glass. Are you avoiding my questions? Let me start over, as you're so sure about sience, ask yourself this. Is there any chanse that big bang is god? lets for argument sake say that big bang occured, does time apply to big bang pre explosion when the entire universe existed as a singularity? if not has it existed forever? what was before big bang? i mean surley something must have created it nothing can creat it self from absolutely nothing? You have to agree that there is a greater force apart from big bang. if not you're just being narrow-minded.
"The most irrelevant answear (correction: answer) ive (correction: I've) seen in my life."

For the record: I answered your question from before. Reread the post I quoted, and you'll see that I did indeed answer your question. In other words: No, I'm not avoiding your question, you're merely asking a new question, and then saying that I'm avoiding it.

Anyway, to answer your most recent question: Yes, there's a chanse (correction: Chance) that God caused the big bang. In fact, I have considered this possibility many times. Like I said before, I once believed in God. The reason I turned away from him is because he gave me zero answeres, as opposed to science.

As for whether or not time existed before Big Bang, that's a disputed question amongst many scientists. Stephen Hawking says that no, time did not exist before Big Bang. There just was the Big Bang. That was the start. Before that, there was nothing.
Some say, however, that there was indeed time before the Big Bang. Why? Because our universe is a black hole inside a bigger universe, and the Big Bang was merely the creation of this black hole. They have reasons for thinking this, look up the documentary series "How The Universe Works", a very interesting series, if you're even remotely interested in Astrophysics.

"You have to agree that there is a greater force apart from big bang. if not you're just being narrow-minded."
Why do I have to agree to that? Truth be told, I think you're the one being narrow-minded. I have thought of any and all possibilities I can think of concerning the universe. How was it created? Why was it created? Did someone cause it? Was it perhaps God? Or was it some other force, which can be somewhat similar to God? Or was it merely a coincidence? The truth is, I don't know, but saying that "God did it, end of story. Proof? Here's your proof: God did it, end of story." If you ask me, that's narrow-minded. Much more so than: "The Universe was created through an event that has come to be known as the Big Bang. Proof? Jesus H Christ, there are over a dozen different documentaries and even more books that can present the evidence you need. Just take a minute to read. Or perhaps you dropped out of school and can't read? I don't know, and I am willing to admit that I'm wrong, IF YOU CAN PROVE ME WRONG. Just as I have proven you wrong."

Do me a favor, and take your own advice: Think. Imagine. And stop talking like you know everything, when in fact you're just another Jon Snow.
Spoiler!
In case you haven't seen Game of Thrones: There's this character named Jon Snow, and someone tells him all the time that he knows nothing.
"A wise man speak because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." - Aristotle
User avatar
Unown
Posts: 7478
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Summoners Rift
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Unown »

Big H wrote: So, please, like I said before: Think through what you say before you say it. Makes it easier on all of us, and you won't look like an idiot (no offence).

We're actually running out of clean water.

Also, if stating my opinion combined with facts makes me an idiot, than I'd rather be an idiot than someone who is blind for the inevitable (bad) future.
Read up a bit on overpopulation, then clean your clouded mind, then talk back and try to call someone an idiot.


The only one who is "looking like an idiot" is you because you're having an attitude that resembles "All that I say is truth, all that the rest says is idiotic!".
If noone comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Tough runs don't last, tough Runners do.
User avatar
Styx
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 pm
Location: Norway
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Styx »

I'm not saying there is a god, but if there was, wouldn't he allow mankind to evolve? Which means he could technically give us a 'challenge'? Like ebola, the plague, floods, tempests and so on. He could challenge us like that so we can figure out how to solve it, then he gives us worse shit, and we have to figure that out too. He's a very kind being you see.

On the other side, what made the big bang blow? There was no blow. There was an expantion of matter. Hard to explain, but imagine the universe in a sugarcube, that's how big shit was before the big bang. Then an expansion started, and in a matter of 0.001 second the universe had expanded to a billionth of it's size, this went on and hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen and shit started whirling around and eventually make big round shapes. Some went to be stars, some went to be planets. And here we are.
I think we girls are bitches, even though I am one --------------
Image
User avatar
Jumps7yl3r
Posts: 2583
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:00 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 59 times
Contact:

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Jumps7yl3r »

A romanian philosopher was being interviewed at one point and he had a really wise answer.

Q: Do you believe in God?
A: Yes
Q: No offense but you are known to be a Kant fan and a pessimist by nature, how come you believe in God?
A: Think of it like this : If you believe in God and he doesn't exist well you didn't lose much but if you don't believe and he does exist...then you have a problem


As for me, no I do not
Image Image
Big H
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Big H »

Unownist wrote:
Big H wrote: So, please, like I said before: Think through what you say before you say it. Makes it easier on all of us, and you won't look like an idiot (no offence).

We're actually running out of clean water.

Also, if stating my opinion combined with facts makes me an idiot, than I'd rather be an idiot than someone who is blind for the inevitable (bad) future.
Read up a bit on overpopulation, then clean your clouded mind, then talk back and try to call someone an idiot.


The only one who is "looking like an idiot" is you because you're having an attitude that resembles "All that I say is truth, all that the rest says is idiotic!".

You say "running out". When did it start to run out? A thousand years ago? Two thousand years ago? Five thousand years ago? Death and destruction, anger and sorrow, all of these things have existed for as long as mankind has existed. But the question is, has over-population been a problem for as long as mankind has existed? How could it be a problem when there were a hundred thousand people on the planet? Two hundred thousand? A million?

Clean water may be running out now, but if you're telling me it's been running out for the last thousand years, then I'd call bullshit on that. We can use the term "running out" when there won't be any more clean water in the near future, possibly a few centuries TOPS. Otherwise, it's just a scare-tactic to make us think more of what we're doing.

The thing is, you seem to be referring to the present in all your arguments. Yes, over-population is becomming a problem today, but it wasn't a problem three millennia ago, and yet, death and disease was just a big a problem three millennia ago as it is now.
"A wise man speak because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." - Aristotle
User avatar
Unown
Posts: 7478
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Summoners Rift
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Unown »

Big H wrote:
Unownist wrote:
Big H wrote: So, please, like I said before: Think through what you say before you say it. Makes it easier on all of us, and you won't look like an idiot (no offence).

We're actually running out of clean water.

Also, if stating my opinion combined with facts makes me an idiot, than I'd rather be an idiot than someone who is blind for the inevitable (bad) future.
Read up a bit on overpopulation, then clean your clouded mind, then talk back and try to call someone an idiot.


The only one who is "looking like an idiot" is you because you're having an attitude that resembles "All that I say is truth, all that the rest says is idiotic!".

You say "running out". When did it start to run out? A thousand years ago? Two thousand years ago? Five thousand years ago? Death and destruction, anger and sorrow, all of these things have existed for as long as mankind has existed. But the question is, has over-population been a problem for as long as mankind has existed? How could it be a problem when there were a hundred thousand people on the planet? Two hundred thousand? A million?

Clean water may be running out now, but if you're telling me it's been running out for the last thousand years, then I'd call bullshit on that. We can use the term "running out" when there won't be any more clean water in the near future, possibly a few centuries TOPS. Otherwise, it's just a scare-tactic to make us think more of what we're doing.

The thing is, you seem to be referring to the present in all your arguments. Yes, over-population is becomming a problem today, but it wasn't a problem three millennia ago, and yet, death and disease was just a big a problem three millennia ago as it is now.
It's estimated to run out in ~50 years, I told you to look it up and then talk back, not talk back and not look it up.
If noone comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Tough runs don't last, tough Runners do.
Big H
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Big H »

Unownist wrote: It's estimated to run out in ~50 years, I told you to look it up and then talk back, not talk back and not look it up.
For crying out loud... I'm not talking about the present nor the future, I'm talking about the past! The past! How many times do I have to say it? The past! Do you know what the word "past" means?
"The time before the moment of speaking or writing" - Oxford Dictionary http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... glish/past

Was it running out a millennia ago? Two millennia ago? That's what I'm asking! Was it? No? Good. Then my question is answered, and so is yours.
"A wise man speak because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." - Aristotle
User avatar
Unown
Posts: 7478
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Summoners Rift
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Unown »

Big H wrote:
Unownist wrote: It's estimated to run out in ~50 years, I told you to look it up and then talk back, not talk back and not look it up.
For crying out loud... I'm not talking about the present nor the future, I'm talking about the past! The past! How many times do I have to say it? The past! Do you know what the word "past" means?
"The time before the moment of speaking or writing" - Oxford Dictionary http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... glish/past

Was it running out a millennia ago? Two millennia ago? That's what I'm asking! Was it? No? Good. Then my question is answered, and so is yours.
Clean water may be running out now, but if you're telling me it's been running out for the last thousand years, then I'd call bullshit on that. We can use the term "running out" when there won't be any more clean water in the near future, possibly a few centuries TOPS. Otherwise, it's just a scare-tactic to make us think more of what we're doing.
Do you have the memory of a gold fish?
If noone comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Tough runs don't last, tough Runners do.
User avatar
The Beard
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:00 am
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by The Beard »

Debate if you wish, a difference of opinions is human nature but no amount of arguing will change someone's opinion and when we turn to correcting grammar and arguing matters with insults it's time to agree that you disagree and move on with the topic.

Do you believe in God.
Image
User avatar
Styx
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 pm
Location: Norway
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by Styx »

No.
I think we girls are bitches, even though I am one --------------
Image
Locked

Return to “Trash (The Lounge)”