Re: Do You Believe In God?

Post by traveller »

Hi I am new :)

Yes I do. :D
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

Stephen Fry pretty much sums up my views on God here: http://imgur.com/gallery/opJLE
Mati

Post by Mati »

Why do people discuss religion when the question is "do you believe in god", or even worse, think that religion is relevant when it comes to that question :| why do people still need such constructs rather than developing their own self-critical reasonable thinking structures.
lol
Starzy

Post by Starzy »

Konijn wrote:Stephen Fry pretty much sums up my views on God here: http://imgur.com/gallery/opJLE
saw that as my headline on my youtube home page

Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

W_a_S_y_L

Post by W_a_S_y_L »

I'm not a religious person, but yes I do believe that there is/was sine entity that, started all this.

By started I mean the Big Bang.

And only the Big Bang.

I know it sounds weird but I just think that this entity started everything, but then left so it would run it's course. And the whole religion, sins, prayers, 10 commendements etc are all man-made.

This entity a.k.a. God did not create diseases, parasites and the like. They simply appeared due to evolution and coincidence.

That is what I'd like to believe.

What happens after we die?

idunnolul
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

I have a friend that believes that there's a deity it's neutral and just created stuff and kind of left it from there. Also an interesting thought imo.
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
Flath

Post by Flath »

noone is going to talk about Frisbeetarianism ? :trollface:

Mati

Post by Mati »

Shadi wrote:I have a friend that believes that there's a deity it's neutral and just created stuff and kind of left it from there. Also an interesting thought imo.
Most likely refering to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

Also the egg story is a quite amusing read, but after all, doesn't make too much sense.
lol
Humm

Post by Humm »

Unownist wrote:Concerning as to why a "God" would let all the terrible stuff happen:

I'd like to believe that God sees that we are getting overpopulated and that's a real problem, and since God sees all people as equal, everyone has a chance of getting ebola/ going to war/ car accident/ ...

That would be my theory -IF- and IF I believed in God.

I'm still not sure wether I do or not, I'd like to believe there is one, there is still some stuff that is unexplained by science, but there's alot of stuff that has been proven.

My answer is lying between yes and no, I'm not sure.
Interesting. You will clearly never become a scientist. Tell me, what planet are we living on? This is planet Earth, the largest terrestrial planet in this solar system. Earth is offering us plenty of space to walk around on. I must confess though, sadly I must, you have one hell of a theory there. It looks like you have spent a lot of time on it. How long did it take you to construct it? Am I allowed to take a guess? Five minutes. I'm a generous person.

You're really annoying me. Where did you get your information from? Was it a politician that told you this? Perhaps a friend? You shouldn't have an opinion if you don't know jackshit about the subject. This planet has never been overpopulated, and it will likely never become either.

Always the same, slaughtering us like pigs, he's a good guy, isn't he? But you know, to be honest, it doesn't look like he's doing a very good job. We're still growing in numbers, Ebola has no effect on the population growth, but you know what? He created every little detail in this fucked up universe, and this is how he solves the problem of overpopulation? That's Interesting. He is one cruel motherfucker. Keep on licking his ass, one day you'll join him, in the lands of nothingness.

Yes, I'm arrogant, I've always been, but then again, I've never denied that.

EDIT: Wars, drugs, and all that shit is not stopping the growth, so he has clearly failed.
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

Humm wrote: Interesting. You will clearly never become a scientist. Tell me, what planet are we living on? This is planet Earth, the largest terrestrial planet in this solar system. Earth is offering us plenty of space to walk around on. I must confess though, sadly I must, you have one hell of a theory there. It looks like you have spent a lot of time on it. How long did it take you to construct it? Am I allowed to take a guess? Five minutes. I'm a generous person.
Doesn't matter how much time he spent or how detailed it is, it's a valid theory he's given.
Humm wrote: You're really annoying me. Where did you get your information from? Was it a politician that told you this? Perhaps a friend? You shouldn't have an opinion if you don't know jackshit about the subject. This planet has never been overpopulated, and it will likely never become either.
He's not claiming to be an expert but that doesn't mean you don't have an opinion, as a matter of fact there are a lot of concerns about overpopulation and several factors justify this concern, welcome to check the statistics on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation
Humm wrote: Always the same, slaughtering us like pigs, he's a good guy, isn't he? But you know, to be honest, it doesn't look like he's doing a very good job. We're still growing in numbers, Ebola has no effect on the population growth, but you know what? He created every little detail in this fucked up universe, and this is how he solves the problem of overpopulation? That's Interesting. He is one cruel motherfucker. Keep on licking his ass, one day you'll join him, in the lands of nothingness.

EDIT: Wars, drugs, and all that shit is not stopping the growth, so he has clearly failed.
angry/incompetent/immature comments like these are reasons why some people don't allow religious/political debates.
These users thanked the author Shadi for the post:
Flath
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
Humm

Post by Humm »

Shadi wrote:
Humm wrote: Interesting. You will clearly never become a scientist. Tell me, what planet are we living on? This is planet Earth, the largest terrestrial planet in this solar system. Earth is offering us plenty of space to walk around on. I must confess though, sadly I must, you have one hell of a theory there. It looks like you have spent a lot of time on it. How long did it take you to construct it? Am I allowed to take a guess? Five minutes. I'm a generous person.
Doesn't matter how much time he spent or how detailed it is, it's a valid theory he's given.
Humm wrote: You're really annoying me. Where did you get your information from? Was it a politician that told you this? Perhaps a friend? You shouldn't have an opinion if you don't know jackshit about the subject. This planet has never been overpopulated, and it will likely never become either.
He's not claiming to be an expert but that doesn't mean you don't have an opinion, as a matter of fact there are a lot of concerns about overpopulation and several factors justify this concern, welcome to check the statistics on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation
Humm wrote: Always the same, slaughtering us like pigs, he's a good guy, isn't he? But you know, to be honest, it doesn't look like he's doing a very good job. We're still growing in numbers, Ebola has no effect on the population growth, but you know what? He created every little detail in this fucked up universe, and this is how he solves the problem of overpopulation? That's Interesting. He is one cruel motherfucker. Keep on licking his ass, one day you'll join him, in the lands of nothingness.

angry/incompetent/immature comments like these are reasons why some people don't allow religious/political debates.
Lmao. I don't consider my comment as incompetent. A bit immature? Fine. Incompetent though? Definitely not. To be honest, I wouldn't even call it a theory. It's more of an opinion, and it's definitely not a valid one. He hasn't spent any time on it, he hasn't debated himself. That's why I don't consider it to be valid. It is understandable, but there's not good reasoning behind it.

Valid: Fair or reasonable.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/valid
"An opinion is someone's thoughts and feelings on a subject. That opinion is said to be "valid" if there is good reasoning behind it, or if it's understandable that someone would feel that way."
http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_valid_opinion

Why is the odds of dying in a car accident higher in the US than in the UK? Also, young males are more likely to be forced to fight the wars for their country. Compare the amount of victims of Ebola in Africa and Sweden.

How in Earth's name is his opinion valid? Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that it's a valid one.
Mati

Post by Mati »

Yes, the concrete example Unownist gave is nonsensical, but the main legit argument behind that is the famous "everything has a reason and god knows best" argument. There is an endless amount of value functions with endless amounts of unknown parameters god could optimize to. And then it also depends if you have a deterministic view on the universe or not (I guess that's implied though under many understandings of god). The whole discussion is ill-defined in the first place because it depends on what attributes you assign to the concept of a god.
lol
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

Humm wrote:Lmao. I don't consider my comment as incompetent. A bit immature? Fine. Incompetent though? Definitely not. To be honest, I wouldn't even call it a theory. It's more of an opinion, and it's definitely not a valid one. He hasn't spent any time on it, he hasn't debated himself. That's why I don't consider it to be valid. It is understandable, but there's not good reasoning behind it.
It is socially incompetent to aggressively call out and represent someone's intelligence as inferior like that, especially while you, yourself, know jack. + given that he in no way tried to cause any harm, but just tried to arouse discussion/representing a common point of view of deities and if anything he was successful in doing that.
Humm wrote: Valid: Fair or reasonable.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/valid
"An opinion is someone's thoughts and feelings on a subject. That opinion is said to be "valid" if there is good reasoning behind it, or if it's understandable that someone would feel that way."
http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_valid_opinion

Why is the odds of dying in a car accident higher in the US than in the UK? Also, young males are more likely to be forced to fight the wars for their country. Compare the amount of victims of Ebola in Africa and Sweden.
Now I don't think ebola was a good example there are better, but in general sickness and death doesn't have to be balanced between country to country. For a deity, we can simply be one unit so where an issue is, doesn't have to matter to it.
Humm wrote: How in Earth's name is his opinion valid? Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that it's a valid one.
If a deity's solution is to get rid of people if there are too many, why doesn't that make sense? The only thing that makes it seem invalid if anything is that it's not successful given we're still increasing in people successfully.

Mati wrote:Yes, the concrete example Unownist gave is nonsensical, but the main legit argument behind that is the famous "everything has a reason and god knows best" argument. There is an endless amount of value functions with endless amounts of unknown parameters god could optimize to. And then it also depends if you have a deterministic view on the universe or not (I guess that's implied though under many understandings of god). The whole discussion is ill-defined in the first place because it depends on what attributes you assign to the concept of a god.
See, Humm; much better way to analyse stuff - you don't have to look belligerent or like a bonehead to argue.

- Benjamin Franklin
Humm

Post by Humm »

I am not interested in continuing this discussion, so please, do not reply to my comments. If you still decide to reply, don't expect me to answer, and no, I did not call Unownist unintelligent. I simply just consider his opinion to be ridiculous. It's just the way I write on the internet, no harm intended, but then again, this is the fucking internet (do not respond to that).

Return to “Trash (The Lounge)”