Bodybuilding & Fitness Topic

East Clubber

Bodybuilding & Fitness Topic

Post by East Clubber »

Lately I've been having a lot of questions about working out and exercise etc.
So decided to create a general topic where you can ask your questions, get advice or where we can just discuss anything fitness related.
If you do not want to share your questions you can send them as PM, but it might help out other members of the forum aswell if they can read about it here.

We are at the moment closing in on the summer, so I can just imagine a lot of guys or girls out there are working extensively on their bodies, right? ;)
Mr.Mackey

Re: Bodybuiling & Fitness Topic

Post by Mr.Mackey »

Awesome thread!

I have a question about whey protein shakes, most users say that you should drink it after you're finished with training within a maximum time of atleast 30 minutes. Is this true?
iSuck

Post by iSuck »

About what he just said, many noobie trainers, starts drinkin protein shake when they begin (nothing to do with Mackey, but ive seen many ppl doing this). Isn't this a bit wasted if you wanna get less fat and more mussles? The body makes energy of the fat, and change it to muscles, right? So basicly what you do when you drink protein shake, is making sure you still have the fat. Is this somehow correct? I see why ppl lke you east are drinking it tho, but like half fat random ppl..:D
East Clubber

Post by East Clubber »

Mr.Mackey wrote:Awesome thread!

I have a question about whey protein shakes, most users say that you should drink it after you're finished with training within a maximum time of atleast 30 minutes. Is this true?
The window of opportunity is overhyped, however still a good idea to give the body some protein to work with after you have broken the muscle tissue down.
The main reasons for drinking a protein shake after your workout is because the affinity of the cells is higher after workout so you will obtain the protein better. Other than that protein and carbohydrates are anti-catabolic if you take them after your workout.

But proteinsynthesis will first peak after a while as shown in this study: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/h95-038
And therefore the importance of the window of opportunity is not as big as before.

To conclude: Yes it can be a good idea to drink fast-absorbed protein. Better idea to drink it with some fast digesting carbohydrates as well.
B.K

Post by B.K »

Better idea to drink it with some fast digesting carbohydrates as well.
Ex, with this it would be a good idea to drink it with glucose, since it's fast digesting.
The thing about whey-protein pouder is that the muscles consumes it faster than some of the other protein-pouders at the market if I remember correct.
East Clubber

Post by East Clubber »

iSuck wrote:About what he just said, many noobie trainers, starts drinkin protein shake when they begin (nothing to do with Mackey, but ive seen many ppl doing this). Isn't this a bit wasted if you wanna get less fat and more mussles? The body makes energy of the fat, and change it to muscles, right? So basicly what you do when you drink protein shake, is making sure you still have the fat. Is this somehow correct? I see why ppl lke you east are drinking it tho, but like half fat random ppl..:D
Basicly depends on his diet and how many calories in versus calories out.
Fat can't be changed into muscletissue, but yeah if the calories in the proteinshake is the reason you are in a caloric surplus when you want to loose weight, you should skip it.
Mr.Mackey

Post by Mr.Mackey »

East Clubber wrote:
Mr.Mackey wrote:Awesome thread!

The window of opportunity is overhyped, however still a good idea to give the body some protein to work with after you have broken the muscle tissue down.
The main reasons for drinking a protein shake after your workout is because the affinity of the cells is higher after workout so you will obtain the protein better. Other than that protein and carbohydrates are anti-catabolic if you take them after your workout.

But proteinsynthesis will first peak after a while as shown in this study: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/h95-038
And therefore the importance of the window of opportunity is not as big as before.

To conclude: Yes it can be a good idea to drink fast-absorbed protein. Better idea to drink it with some fast digesting carbohydrates as well.
The shake that I use is already digested, will this make a difference? It's the Dymatize Elite whey protein btw
Black Leader

Post by Black Leader »

2 questions, highly appriciated if someone could give me the answers to these :D

The afterburn after you did cardio, how long does that last?
And if you eat fruit or something else during the afterburn does it stop then?
East Clubber

Post by East Clubber »

Mr.Mackey wrote:
The shake that I use is already digested, will this make a difference? It's the Dymatize Elite whey protein btw
Your proteinpowder consists of various forms of whey protein, a mix between isolates and concentrates. It does not make the biggest difference as long as it's fast absorbed whey.

Black Leader wrote:2 questions, highly appriciated if someone could give me the answers to these :D

The afterburn after you did cardio, how long does that last?
And if you eat fruit or something else during the afterburn does it stop then?
The afterburn lasts for the rest of the day if I remember correctly but more importantly you burn about 37 % extra calories during the afterburn if you have performed cardio with a pulse over 80% of your max. This means that if you burned 100 calories by running on the treadmill, you will burn 37 extra calories throughout the day.
About fruit being able to stop the afterburn I have never heard any proof of that theory. Feel free to post scientific studies if anyone has any information.
Black Leader

Post by Black Leader »

It was on a bodybuilding forum, but the people there weren't sure too :)
And I mostly run 40 minutes on a treadmill making my heartbeat get over 190. Is this dangerous and do I burn more calories in the afterburn?
East Clubber

Post by East Clubber »

Black Leader wrote:It was on a bodybuilding forum, but the people there weren't sure too :)
And I mostly run 40 minutes on a treadmill making my heartbeat get over 190. Is this dangerous and do I burn more calories in the afterburn?
If you can run 40 minutes with a heartbeat somewhere around 93% of your maxpulse youre in great shape. Yes you will burn a lot of calories with such a high maxpulse for such a long session of cardio.
About the fruit being able to inhibit the effect of the afterburn sounds like something that might have been based on bad studies.
The afterburn happens because your aerobic ernergy system can't keep up with the amount of energy you need to complete your exercise. The energy is therefore supplied by anaerobic energy systems. When you are done with the cardio, your body is in need of additional oxygen and you can therefore say that you ''owe'' the extra oxygen. So basicly higher intensity equals higher afterburn.
Black Leader

Post by Black Leader »

A few more :D
Can you take a shake before practice aswell, does this give optimal results?
And if you can from how long before do you have to take the shake?
Is it also true that powerlifting can stop your length grow?
B.K

Post by B.K »

That is just a myth, it has not been proved right, there it's invalid :megusta:
East Clubber

Post by East Clubber »

Black Leader wrote:A few more :D
Can you take a shake before practice aswell, does this give optimal results?
And if you can from how long before do you have to take the shake?
A shake before can be good, but I doubt you need it. I personally consume a proteinshake consisting og glucose + whey 90 minutes before training.
I would advise you to eat a small meal 2-3 hours prior to exercise, consisting of a high amount of protein and carbohydrates and a low amount of fat.

Examples:
A small portion of oatmeal with low fat milk
A salad with beans and chicken or tuna
etc.

And as Castin says there is no evidence that powerlifting hinders growth in children. However training on an elite level as a child may delay the growth of bones.
But I doubt anyone in this community does that ;)
Black Leader

Post by Black Leader »

Thanks for answering man :D, I'll let you know if I have more questions!

Return to “Trash (The Lounge)”