View unanswered posts | View active topics | There are 3 pending strikelist reports It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

#1 Post[Village Win] [S2] Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
Welcome to the Wayward Inn...

Just outside a lovely little seaside town, the Wayward Inn has been a destination for many a weary traveler after a long day. While generally well received by its guests, the inn's lasting presence has given rise to a number of stories over the years, everything from sightings of ghosts and demons to rumours that serial killers and the mafia use the sprawling woods behind it to hide evidence of their crimes. But these are simply stories. Nothing of the sort would ever happen here.

At least, that's what you tell yourself as you check in and settle into your room. Having been warned to take shelter from an oncoming storm, you bundle in for the night and ignore the growing pit of uncertainty in your stomach.

Gameplay:

For the most part, this game will run like a standard mafia game, with mafia/serial killer night kills, daytime lynches, etc. But here is the twist: When the game starts, players will be assigned a room number. In addition, one empty room will be added to the list. Most night actions will be targeted at rooms, rather than players . Only the lynch, the Veteran and the Sniper will target players. Two players (the Hotel Manager and Janitor) have the ability to move people to different rooms. These swaps will not be public and if you are moved, you will be notified by PM. If a player dies, their room will be empty for two rounds, then closed permanently. Any player in the closed rooms will be moved to an available room.

Mafia:

Godfather: Appears as ”Not suspicious” when peeked.
Spy: Can check a room every night and see who is in that room and their alignment.
Sniper: Can shoot 1 target player (targets a player directly, not their room), in addition to the regular nightkill, once during the game.
Newbie (Trainee): Takes the role of the first mafia member to die.

Town:

Veteran: Able to shoot and kill one player (targets a player directly, not their room) during the game.
Hotel Manager: Once per night, can choose any two rooms and swap the occupants.
Journalist: Can check a room every night and see who is in that room and their alignment.
Doctor: Can save a room every night, preventing the occupant from dying. Saves will be made public.

Vanilla Villagers : Can participate in the lynch and communicate with the living players.

Third Party:

Janitor (SK) : Chooses one room per night and kills occupants. In addition, chooses a new room each night, switching the current inhabitant to his previous room. Can not be targeted by night actions (peeks and nightkills) but can be targeted by the Sniper and Veteran.

Winconditions:

Mafia: Reach parity with the town (becoming equal in numbers: 2 mafia alive, 2 town alive = mafia wins)
Town: Find and kill all of the Mafia members and Janitor.
Third Party: Be the last man standing.

Game Mechanics:

Common Game Type: Open - All rules are posted in the thread and any player may expect answers to any setup questions they ask.
Common Action Timestamp: No Surprises - Voting and actions are held in tight order. Any votes or actions after the deadline will not be counted, even if the Host hasn’t posted Sunset or Dawn yet. Any action not taken will be lost; the Host will not extend a round or give you a random peek or kill.
Common Voting Type: Timed Lynch - At the end of a certain amount of time, the player with the most votes is lynched.
Common Tie Breaker: LHLV - In the event of a tie, the player with the Longest Held Last Vote, or LHLV, is lynched. Basically, the player with the most votes just before the tie is lynched. If a player is tied with No Lynch, no player will be lynched regardless of LHLV.
Common Ghost Etiquette: RP Play Style - Once dead, players may post in the thread and join public IRC so long as they don't make game related posts or comments. They may not PM other players about the game or have private conversations on IRC. If you have data that you'd like to share, please, do so before your death. Dead Mafia/Wolf players are given a partial exception and are allowed to PM other Mafia/Wolves. All players are always free to talk with their Host in private IRC or PM.
Common Game Start: Hospitalization - Before the First Round starts, the Wolves/Mafia will choose one player to attack. That player will not be killed, but will be hospitalized and thus can’t vote in the first round.
Common R0 Peeks: Random Negative - Every player who can peek is given a random peek from all players who would return "No" or "Not X" other than the peeker.
Common Death Reveal: Full Reveal Upon Death- All players, when they die, will have their full role, room, and alignment revealed immediately upon death.
Game length: Speedplay – The rounds will be 48h hours. No night phase included.

[signups open]

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:48 pm

#2 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
Looks interesting -- are rooms randomly assigned to players at the beginning of the game?

What happens if an empty room is targeted? Nothing? A public message? Is the player informed?

[in]

ImageImage

Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
nD*** Jail Member

#3 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[in]

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:25 pm

#4 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[in]

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:21 pm

#5 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[In]

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:32 pm

#6 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[In]

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:07 pm

#7 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[in]

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 pm

#8 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[in]

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:47 pm

#9 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[Something I wanted to post in the other game but couldn't due to, y'know, getting shot R1]

Also, on the topic of "activity makes you die" -- in terms of general game knowledge:

Wolves want to blend in with the village. If the majority of village are pretty afk, then the wolves will likely act afk-ish too in order to blend in (after all, they don't want to be seen acting differently from the rest of the crowd). Moreover, the wolves LIKE it when they can hide and act afk, because it means they have to put less effort into blending in and have fewer chances to fuck up.

The solution to this, of course, is that every villager should attempt to be as active as possible, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY MAY GET KILLED FOR IT. This way, if the mafia continue to act afk-ish, they now stand out and can be investigated.

This means, of course, that if the village itself is active, the mafia will be forced to become more active as well. And if the mafia are more active, this means they have more exposure to the villagers and therefore more chances to fuck up and give themselves away.

You will notice that (especially as a villager) you do NOT have to be alive at the end of a game to win. It's like playing Dota or LoL -- if you die but your team still manages to win the game, you will win with them.

If you just stand afk at spawn, sure, you'll never die -- but your team will be worse off without you (unless you're Maki) and it will be likely that you will lose the game .

This whole attitude of "active people get killed, so I'll just be afk and not die" is selfish and honestly makes your team more likely to lose. The village controls a lot of more than it thinks it does, but the change in attitude has to start at the individual level before it can affect the game as a whole.

ImageImage

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:19 am
Profile WWW

#10 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[In]
I will try to keep up with replies this time.

//Wayward Edit: Gerty derped.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 am

#11 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[In]

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:55 am

#12 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
[in]

Crispo pls don't let me get lynched :lol:

Spoiler: show

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:24 am
Friend of the Community

#13 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
HATER wrote:
If you just stand afk at spawn, sure, you'll never die -- but your team will be worse off without you (unless you're Maki) and it will be likely that you will lose the game

I was thinking that post looked too serious, but the red part made me know it was a HATER post.

btw hater is right, so don't afk pl0x

- Benjamin Franklin

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:35 am

#14 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
-Can there be more than 1 player in each room?

-How many rooms are there (including the empty room)?

-If a player dies and a new player gets moved to that room, will the room close after 2 rounds even though its occupied by a new player? If so, which room will that player move to?

-At the start of the game, each room is assigned to 1 player or multiple players can share the room?

-As a spy, will you be able to see their roles aswell?
-As a trainee, if the sniper has already used the shot and becomes the first mafia member to die, will the trainee be able to use another shot?

-As for the janitor, from what I understood, he can move to a room of his choice every night and whatever room that is, the current inhabitants will be switched to the previous room of the janitor. What will the result be when the janitor gets peeked by the mafia/town?

Also I've just noticed that it will have 48 hour rounds. Wouldn't it become inactive for having such a long game length?

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:51 pm

#15 Post Re: Mafia XXXI: L'Hôtel de la Mort Isolate
HATER wrote:
Looks interesting -- are rooms randomly assigned to players at the beginning of the game?

What happens if an empty room is targeted? Nothing? A public message? Is the player informed?

> For R0, yes. I will post a list of the rooms and their occupants (or a note saying a particular room is empty.
> The player will be informed that their actions missed and it will also appear in the public message.
>Also, thanks for the afk-speech. After SiX's game, I can see how so many afks hurt.

Ultor wrote:
-Can there be more than 1 player in each room?

-How many rooms are there (including the empty room)?

-If a player dies and a new player gets moved to that room, will the room close after 2 rounds even though its occupied by a new player? If so, which room will that player move to?

-At the start of the game, each room is assigned to 1 player or multiple players can share the room?

-As a spy, will you be able to see their roles aswell?
-As a trainee, if the sniper has already used the shot and becomes the first mafia member to die, will the trainee be able to use another shot?

-As for the janitor, from what I understood, he can move to a room of his choice every night and whatever room that is, the current inhabitants will be switched to the previous room of the janitor. What will the result be when the janitor gets peeked by the mafia/town?

Also I've just noticed that it will have 48 hour rounds. Wouldn't it become inactive for having such a long game length?

> One player per room. The two players who can move people between rooms operate on a swap mentality - i.e. if A is moved to B's room, B will be moved to A's room.
> Right now I'm planning numberofplayers+1 for total number of rooms. I will post if that changes.
> If a player is in a closing room, they will be randomly reassigned an empty non-closed room. They will be told which room that is in a PM.
> See the first response - only one player per room ever.
> Spy functions just as the journalist, only he's mafia. (He picks a room, sees what player is in there and what their role is.)
> I'll admit, I don't know the standard precedent for this, so for now I'll say no, the trainee will not get a new Sniper shot.
> The Janitor is immune to the Mafia's night kill, as well as any peeks (Journalist or Spy.) If the room he is occupying is peeked, it will come back as Empty.

> For the round length, what do all of you think? I'm still a little green with online WW, so here was my thought process: SiX's game seemed to go by too fast with 24hr complete rounds (mostly due to the ton of posts people were making.) That made me think having slightly longer complete rounds would give people more time to check back and think about the game. Should I go with 24hour? I'm open to either.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next