View unanswered posts | View active topics | There are 14 pending strikelist reports It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?

How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
I'd be more active than I usually am 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I would play as usual, I already post a lot 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
I'd post as usual, it's probably not going to get enforced anyway 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I'd break bigger posts up into smaller chunks 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
I'll just copy some stuff from discord to the forum 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I can just quote some posts I agree with, right? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
post the same vote five times, no problem 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
fluff posting ftw 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I won't sign up for a game like that 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I would look forward to an enjoyable game with lots of activity 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
nag HATER on discord 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
praise HATER 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
something completely different (see my post below) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
make an opinion poll 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
taco 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 40

#1 Post How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
The reason this comes up is of course HATERs current Boswell game.

"Fluff posting" refers to posts like "I'm online now", "catching up, will post later", "lol", basically anything that is low effort and doesn't contribute anything to the actual game.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:15 am

#2 Post Re: How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
You can't fluff post because Katika is going to count the number of characters in your posts.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16 pm

#3 Post Re: How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
Cruxell wrote:
You can't fluff post because Katika is going to count the number of characters in your posts.

lmfao

@Mendel: Tbh, I feel the people active enough in the community to respond to this topic/poll are (generally) the people the posting requirements are met by anyways, so there is quite possibly a selection bias here. But that could just be me.

ImageImage

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Profile WWW

#4 Post Re: How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
Probably the worst thing to happen since the Hydra account meme

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm

#5 Post Re: How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
Emziek wrote:

I'm unsure what you mean. Posting requirements have been a part of the community since before we even came to nD, though in the past, host standards have generally been quite low (it is indeed my personal belief that continued low standards have led to the general inactivity of this community).

Hosts have always had the power to mandate a specific level of activity for their games. Just because I have hosted a game that requires a higher level of activity does not mean it is a community-wide policy.

Hosts are (of course) free to ask their players to maintain any level of activity they wish.

In fact, if you wish to host a game with no activity requirement whatsoever, there is certainly nothing stopping you. Perhaps you can even find someone else willing to host a game where players are allowed to stay completely incommunicado, since your previous remarks on the matter give me the impression that would be your preferred style of game to play.

In all seriousness, I wish such rules were not needed. I would love to have this community be in a state where no host had to worry about enforcing inactivity rules. Unfortunately, that is not the case, as the countless modkills for inactivity and generally low game health over the past few years can attest. Something needs to change.

In the six years since the community moved to Neon, I don't recall any games in which the posting requirements were higher than one or two posts per round. I think it's reasonable to at least give raising the standards a little a try. Maybe I'm wrong, and we'll still have horrible inactivity problems and this is a curse we can never escape, etc etc etc. But personally, I'm at least going to try it for a few games.

ImageImage

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:48 pm
Profile WWW

#6 Post Re: How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
HATER wrote:
@Mendel: Tbh, I feel the people active enough in the community to respond to this topic/poll are (generally) the people the posting requirements are met by anyways, so there is quite possibly a selection bias here. But that could just be me.
The players actively using the forum are the ones who'll see the post first, so initial numbers are biased that way. But now, we have 7 votes on the "post a lot", with another combined 7 on the "post more"(2), "won't get enforced"(3) and "won't sign up"(2), so I think player types have about equalized.

Most of your reply to Emziek is off the point: we're not talking about hosts having the power to set activity requirements, the issue is someone (you) setting it to 5 forum posts. The question is, is that a good use of your power, and you're not addressing that.
HATER wrote:
In the six years since the community moved to Neon, I don't recall any games in which the posting requirements were higher than one or two posts per round. I think it's reasonable to at least give raising the standards a little a try.
"A little" would be maybe setting it to 3 per in-game day? How many players made that on Defibrilation? Which players did not?

We both agree that mafia games with high activity from all players are better and more fun to play for us (or maybe if the game is fun, players are more active?), but the question is, will your host-imposed requirement have that effect? And how do we measure activity if we're also embracing discord as a setting for the game? (I don't have the answers to that.)

Emziek wrote:
Why?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 am

#7 Post Re: How would you deal with a 5-posts-per-day requirement?
Mendel wrote:
HATER wrote:
The players actively using the forum are the ones who'll see the post first, so initial numbers are biased that way. But now, we have 7 votes on the "post a lot", with another combined 7 on the "post more"(2), "won't get enforced"(3) and "won't sign up"(2), so I think player types have about equalized.

Doesn't that kind of speak to my point? If "already posts a lot" has as many responses as the rest combined, then it could be possible that we're getting a biased selection of the community just based on those who are already active, and the data could support that conclusion. (Or it could just be that the majority of the community already posts a lot, which is great-- since they wouldn't even need to change their habits at all in games with a higher posting requirement.)

Mendel wrote:
Most of your reply to Emziek is off the point: we're not talking about hosts having the power to set activity requirements, the issue is someone (you) setting it to 5 forum posts. The question is, is that a good use of your power, and you're not addressing that.

Since Emziek's comment referenced the administrative decision to allow hydras in the community (and his attitude to me in private discord a week or so ago seemed to imply to me he thought that my increased posting requirements constituted an administrative policy by the leaders of the community), I wanted to make it clear that me choosing to set such a requirement was a hosting measure, not a proposed policy by the mod team.

Mendel wrote:
"A little" would be maybe setting it to 3 per in-game day? How many players made that on Defibrilation? Which players did not?

We both agree that mafia games with high activity from all players are better and more fun to play for us (or maybe if the game is fun, players are more active?), but the question is, will your host-imposed requirement have that effect? And how do we measure activity if we're also embracing discord as a setting for the game? (I don't have the answers to that.)

I considered 3 posts per round, but quite honestly, I think our community can achieve a higher standard than that. Also, for this particular style of game (Boswell-style mutlifaction games), there should be a lot of activity anyways to maintain the game, so 5 posts per round was a way to filter out those who might flake early on (If memory serves me correctly, in each of the past two boswell games in which I played, I had at least one teammate who was inactive nearly the entire game. It's never a good feeling to have one of your teammates completely gone, and I think being up front about the somewhat stricter activity requirements could help deter those most likely to flake.)

Whether or not it will help is a really good question that we don't have any data on, because it hasn't been tried before here. So, I'm going to find out simply by putting it into practice.

As for how activity is measured, I'd say on forums is still the gold standard for activity. The forums are still where voting happens, and where everything is 'set in stone' , so to speak. You can have the public discord be dead and still have what would be considered an active game.

If you have it the other way around (active discord but no posts in forum), it would generally still be considered a dead game, I would posit that forum activity is still the standard by which the general health of a game can be accurately measured.

ImageImage

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]