Admin meeting outcome 09/09/12 *SERVER CHANGES*

Pukata
neonDragon Admin

Re: Admin meeting outcome 09/09/12 *SERVER CHANGES*

Post by Pukata »

+Surf always been a server we had at neonDragon. 2008 it was Surf + DM + Diablo mod, and server was constantly 32/32. Then it died, and in 2009 if i remember correctly, we changed it to surf-gungame, which made the server go 32/32 again aka very popular untill we changed ip. The ip change reduced the popularity on all servers, but since then, we have managed to make some nD servers so popular that they can fill the less popular ones. Sadly when i play surf, and the stats i see there, new players stick around for 4-5 minutes and then leave again. We even tried diffrent approaches to make it fairly popular, but everytime it just goes back to low player numbers again.
But Surf-gungame was very popular back then, and with the other popular servers filling it, id bet it becomes more popular than surf-ski2 server ever could be.
These users thanked the author Pukata for the post:
ZnK
Maki

Post by Maki »

By the way for those that hate the surf part, there is parachute that makes it 100x easier, so don't worry about that ^^

It's all fine as it is and is already quite popular for now :o
minna

Post by minna »

Of course i will try it since im a huge fan of gungames (+ parachute thing sounds nice :D). But i do dislike surf.
Theres a couple fucking junglecats out here..
I live to kill and kill to live.

Ying and Yang

Post by Ying and Yang »

Gotta love how there was never a vote or anything(AFAIK), but instead its changed without asking the community about it.
ZnK

Post by ZnK »

Ying and Yang wrote:Gotta love how there was never a vote or anything(AFAIK), but instead its changed without asking the community about it.
http://www.neondragon.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15562

Please read.
Maki

Post by Maki »

Ying and Yang wrote:Gotta love how there was never a vote or anything(AFAIK), but instead its changed without asking the community about it.
There has never been a need for a vote before changing a server. If it is seen as something that needs to be done, then it can be done regardless of what the players want. People will always be reluctant about a server they like to be changed and people will always be disappointed.

I can say for myself that I enjoy far more the current server than the old one and players seem to aswell. Of course there's still need for few bugfixes + mapcycle test, but it'll surely be done in time.

Also it has been discussed with the fun team too it seems.
Karn

Post by Karn »

Thats really good news , days ago me and QS were talking about that possibility and there it goes, i'm sure it'll get pretty popular :D
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

Maki wrote:If it is seen as something that needs to be done, then it can be done regardless of what the players want.
What load of bs. The players a the people who fill up the servers. If the admins pull in the opposite direction to the community then bad times will be had by all. This is a community and imo major decisions like this should be at least discussed publicly before they are finalised.
Gotouda Aki

Post by Gotouda Aki »

Konijn wrote:
Maki wrote:If it is seen as something that needs to be done, then it can be done regardless of what the players want.
What load of bs. The players a the people who fill up the servers. If the admins pull in the opposite direction to the community then bad times will be had by all. This is a community and imo major decisions like this should be at least discussed publicly before they are finalised.
Well I am agree with you, with that. But based on the comments and vote on the topic Minna made, there wouldn't have been a GG Surf server atm. Which I see as a mistake, because look how popular the Surf GG server is.

Not saying this will continue, or that the votes will look like that in the end. But it's clear that changing the server to a Surf GG server, was the correct choice by the admins.
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

kallekanin wrote:
Konijn wrote:
Well I am agree with you, with that. But based on the comments and vote on the topic Minna made, there wouldn't have been a GG Surf server atm. Which I see as a mistake, because look how popular the Surf GG server is.

Not saying this will continue, or that the votes will look like that in the end. But it's clear that changing the server to a Surf GG server, was the correct choice by the admins.
A new server will always be popular. RR used to be full 24/7 when it was released, despite constant server crashes. Now, at time of writing it has 2 players.
Gotouda Aki

Post by Gotouda Aki »

I also said it's not sure it will continue, but either way I think they admins made the right choice, concidering how the old Surf GG was.

But for now I will just see if it keeps being this popular. But I doubt it'll be unpopular, because it's a nice mod, and many people likes to play it.
Pukata
neonDragon Admin

Post by Pukata »

Konijn wrote:
kallekanin wrote:
Konijn wrote: What load of bs. The players a the people who fill up the servers. If the admins pull in the opposite direction to the community then bad times will be had by all. This is a community and imo major decisions like this should be at least discussed publicly before they are finalised.

A new server will always be popular. RR used to be full 24/7 when it was released, despite constant server crashes. Now, at time of writing it has 2 players.
Roadrage is still fairly popular despite the constant crashes. According to gametracker, the average number of players on roadrage this month is 7 (and yes it counts night-time aswell). Thats quite impressive for a server like roadrage.

The surfski2 only server wasnt as popular and fun as we wanted. Nothing to add to the mod, and its just sad to see new players joining the server, and after 4-5 minutes leaving again, means they are bored. So we wanted to improve the server, and it was discussed with the admins and some of the fun members, and we all agreed that putting gungame on the surf server, would spark more interrest. Last time we had surf-gungame it was a huge succes, till the ip change. Surf is one of the most popular mods in cs, and we see no reason to close a surf server we have had the past 5 years (running diffrent mods).

About a server running gungame alone, i dont think that will work out so good. A year ago we tried out a normal gungame server, even the day it was released, it didnt reach near full server, and a week later it completely died out. I just dont see anything special about a "normal" gungame server. The majority here might want a normal gungame server but in the end they will do as many before them has done; suggest such a server, play on it a few times, and rarely come back. Has been a perfect example of the 3 failed attempts to get a deathrun server up and running. Lots of work put into it, and the exact same people that wanted the server never plays it and the server ends up closing.

Gungame is a way to "spice" up the gameplay on the surf server, after several failed attempts to make it popular while it was surf_ski_2 only, so i dont see a reason to throw away a surf server with so much potential, and gamble with a normal gungame server with little chance of succes.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Surf server is awesome, I had a blast yesterday. Glad to have it back. :clap:
Joined the servers around oktober 2009~~
Joined the forum March 3. 2010, left December 3. 2012.
Emziek

Post by Emziek »

East Clubber wrote: [*]Due to the slow decline of players on the surf_ski server, it has been decided to hopefully spark new interest by transforming it back to a gungame surf server.[/list]
Oh mah gawd.
Admins if you ever need someone to lick your butt clean, i'm your guy. Thank you for bringing back one of my favourite servers. :3
You must take this statement at face value because every statement I make is inherently correct.
Sexypanda

Post by Sexypanda »

Saint Jimmy wrote:
East Clubber wrote: [*]Due to the slow decline of players on the surf_ski server, it has been decided to hopefully spark new interest by transforming it back to a gungame surf server.[/list]
Oh mah gawd.
Admins if you ever need someone to lick your butt clean, i'm your guy. Thank you for bringing back one of my favourite servers. :3
Love how much people change when they apply for member.
When the power of love overthrows the love of power men will know peace~

Return to “Old News”