So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Leaving the community? :( Post here so we can all say goodbye. :)
(come back when you realise the terrible mistake you made ;) )
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Post by Konijn »

Like a burning candle, my motivation has been flickering for some time. Truer, maybe it is to say it has actually been smouldering for the past few months.

And so it is, with great sadness that I announce I will be bowing out and leaving my position as admin here on neonDragon.

You guys have for the most part been great and I've had countless hours of fun over the past 5 years that I've been part of this community and I have met lots of amazing people here, including my fiance, so I will always have a fond memory of this place.

For better or for worse my ideas and contributions have made a big impact on this community and the Jailbreak server specifically and I would just like to quickly mention, in no particular order the things I am most proud of achieving here.
  • ~5 years ago when I was still kind of a noob to the community I identified a problem for CTs in that not many were taking over when the commander died (and at this time people were literally fighting at the start of each round to command). I noticied that the only way as a CT to see if the commander was dead was by looking at the scoreboard (tab). CT deaths were not displayed at all for CTs. This imo was a problem and I suggested to our then lead Jailbreak developer, Mati, that CT deaths be displayed as suicides so that CTs can more quickly take over once the commander died. I believe this had a great impact on the server and made it so people can take over much more quickly.
  • Another suggestion back before I was admin (but this time a member) was to display button presses in the console to members and admins. This was in order to combat those CTs who would rush out the gunroom and open the cells without anyone knowing who it was. This was quite a big problem at the time and would happen at least a few times per map. Since then, the problem is now almost non-existant and the few times it does happen if there are staff online they can easily moderate those people.
  • The !warn system was the first plugin that I coded for neonDragon. The general idea was that as a member it was quite tedious to repeat the same things and additionally as someone who was being moderated it was easy to not see a message if the chat was moving fast or you simply weren't looking at it. This system combated both of those problems and for the most part I'm quite happy with it, though I do wonder if perhaps it has degraded member quality in that it reduced the need for members to really interact properly with people who they were moderating. In the end, a moderator's job is to inform people of the rules and I'm dubious as to how many people who are !warn'ed really read the warning or take in the reason(s) for it.
  • /tgames is another plugin that (at least at the time...) I was quite proud of. After playing on some CS:S JB servers I noticed how the last 2 Ts could play /LR 2v2 against the CTs. This gave me the idea to allow the last 2 Ts on our server to do any of the LR games against each other in order to get LR and fight the CT. I thought it would diverisfy game play and make things more interesting but truthfully it seems to have had an opposite affect and is almost always played now at the end of a round.
  • The fundays rambo day, one in the chamber and jedi day. The latter two are inspired by similar days on AG.
There are many more (and https://trello.com/b/BWXUG95s/konijn-s-neondragon-jobs) things which I have coded, as well as some undocumented things before that topic was created.

In the past couple of years I felt like the atmosphere on nD was becoming more and more toxic. ~7 months ago I asked myself why this was and came to the conclusion that the admin team was not doing enough to combat this issue and took it upon myself to take a harder stance against those who repeatedly provoke and harass others and also to encourage members to act sooner in cases of harassment. I feel like this has made some difference and that the general atmosphere is more pleasant now than it was then, although there is certainly more room for improvement and I sincerely hope that admins will continue to take a harder stance against those toxic few and continue to motivate the members to keep the servers clean and intervene ASAP in cases of abuse.

A lot of people complain that the admins are inactive/don't do enough, and while in general I do agree to this, I believe the issue is less that current admins do not do enough (most of us have been doing this for years and already done more than enough), I think the real issue is that we do not have people to replace the current admin team and re-inject some life into it. What I think needs to happen going forward is for members (or regulars) to really step up their game and show that they are capable of being an admin so that the team can give those people a chance to do that. As it stands, there are no viable candidates for admin imo and have not been (bar the last two appointed) for several years. Members on the whole are only really playing the game (and in some cases handling reports), which is fine if they want to only be a member, but to become an admin people need to go above and beyond of what is required for a member, do things like hosting events, being active on the forums etc.

There's a lot I want to say but I don't want to turn this into a huge novel so I'll wrap it up.

I wish the community the best of luck, I hope it continues to strive and expand. Perhaps if nD finally manages to break into new games outside of CS 1.6 and CS:GO I might return but I think I'm pretty much done with 1.6 and don't find the current GO servers interesting.

I'll probably stick around the community, join the game servers every now and then, but for I'm definitely done with the admin side of things.
Voropoulo

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Post by Voropoulo »

Ko9, first of all it's so sad to see you leaving this community. You did great job as an admin and I do believe that without you and your codes, nd jailbreak wouldn't be so popular. Thank you for all you've done! Hope to see you motivated again and back in nd.

Goodbye my lover

A wise man once said...
Wongerz

Post by Wongerz »

To be honest I could see this coming, but the amount things you have done for the community is massive. I would have hoped for you to step up really and keep encouraging the admin team, however I guess your motivation has dropped too far. You will be by far one of the best admins that nD has had so I wish you all the best. Reply in steam you nub!
New Vape

Post by New Vape »

Byeeee one of the best admins that left nD and (Waschera) bye bye <3
Spoiler!
im on I can't type fast I'll type more
Decency
VIP

Post by Decency »

This.
Wongerz wrote:the amount things you have done for the community is massive.
I have always appreciated your work and do understand that it's pretty much inevitable to lose motivation. Thank you for everything Konijn.
Also I'm stunned that you met your fiance here, that's amazing.

GL with life mate.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Sad to see you leaving ko9, we've had tons of fun together. good times, gonna miss it. take care <3
Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
Nallez

Post by Nallez »

You're a good person, and a great friend. Thank you for everything you've done to this community.
I wont say good bye, cause we'll play LoL together.
MADLIFE!
nD*** Jail Member

Post by MADLIFE! »

I know the hours you put into coding for nD, Big thanks and i hope to play the odd game of league with you and your fiance over the next few months.

In the words of beast. later fag9, YOU SUCK.
Last edited by MADLIFE! on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
14:37 - Edo ツ: some people are utter spastics
19:44 - KING SNEL: ban shota forever
23:42 - Playboy: send nudes!
05:35 - LITE : Black
23.02- PoP^- GET THE CARS CT
12:45 - Rhyme : The Sun is a planet
Moe had an average of 6.33 kills and 16 deaths per match. :facepalm:
gal

Post by gal »

See you, ko9
ZeRo#1
neonDragon Admin

Post by ZeRo#1 »

So sad to see you leave K09...you did such a great job here in nD...with all you did by coding and many many more. You fixed all probs, looked Forward to bring us all the time fun inside in many servers and other places, much appreciated and you've been nice and fair to everyone and you have my full respect for your decission. I'm speechless if i see how much good stuff members and admins leave nD and still hope they come back in some months. Wish you and all the rest the best ever for their next goal.

Cya Yours faithfully ZeRo !!!
Image <--- n1 Shadi
Spoiler!
[youtube]GayFTExPz3g[/youtube]
Supercell
nD* Jail Member

Post by Supercell »

Sad to hear u leave ko9 cuz you was a great admin :( . U did many things to this community and helped a lot of people with their problems. I want to thank you for ur great job to this community and I hope u maybe come back as an admin in the future.

Who knows....
Lionel Messi best player in football history
cuddly teddy bear

Post by cuddly teddy bear »

have fun rabbit

see you around
You can't describe something you hate as life, the same way you can't can't describe life as something you hate.

You should live life to full potential by taking opportunities you are given.

[youtube]vTIIMJ9tUc8[/youtube]
Potato

Post by Potato »

Such a great person. Put countless and countless of effort into the community, Respect. Hope to see you back!
Recognize
Edo ツ

Post by Edo ツ »

Shadi>fag9 solely for reading a steam message (Online) and then going (Away.)

No need to say, your dedication to nD was beyond imagination. Might see eachother on league if I was to ever get active there again.
Good luck in life, fag9
doeda
VIP

Post by doeda »

One of the admins that took a shitton of their freetime to make nD a better place for us. Hope you succeed and lead a happy life with your future wife! ;)
"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up."

Return to “Leaving Threads”