Kind of an expl. post/not leaving the servers/community

Leaving the community? :( Post here so we can all say goodbye. :)
(come back when you realise the terrible mistake you made ;) )
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Re: Kind of an expl. post/not leaving the servers/community

Post by Shadi »

Elija wrote:All I wonder is how a member who ddosed their own communitys server, recived permban tool.
Anyhow, I think you got what you deserved as I found your way of moderating unacceptable.
I feel sorry for you tho, mby in the future you'll be a better member.
Well if he stayed a member having the permban tool would do no harm as Maki proved himself fully capable of using that correctly and banned a zillion hackers with a success rate of 100% on all reports (I think?).
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
Coby

Post by Coby »

Shadi wrote:
Elija wrote:All I wonder is how a member who ddosed their own communitys server, recived permban tool.
Anyhow, I think you got what you deserved as I found your way of moderating unacceptable.
Well if he stayed a member having the permban tool would do no harm as Maki proved himself fully capable of using that correctly and banned a zillion hackers with a success rate of 100% on all reports (I think?).
My point is, if a regular would ddos the server, (s)he would problly recive a ban, pls correct me if I am wrong ^.^
:=)
some people make it rain…. but im so chill i make it snow.
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

His actions were stupid but his intent was good. He was trying to show that they were vulnerable to DDoS attacks so that they could prevent them in future. This comes back to what I said about him being too naive. He genuinely thought he was making the right decision by ddosing.
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

Elija wrote:
Shadi wrote:
My point is, if a regular would ddos the server, (s)he would problly recive a ban, pls correct me if I am wrong ^.^
Depends on the circumstances I'd say... a lot of factors to take in
  • How many times
  • How strong
  • Will the person admit himself or be busted
  • Purpose
Realistically, if I remember correctly, Maki turned himself in and gave a (vague) excuse: He wanted to test the server's capability. His member powers were nearly removed at that point. For that and additional actions such as his "thanks abuse". So yeah, Maki fucked up there but was granted another chance and started proving himself a decent member and much later on received the permban tool.
To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals is courtesy, to inferiors is nobility.

- Benjamin Franklin
Mr.Mackey

Post by Mr.Mackey »

Konijn wrote:His actions were stupid but his intent was good. He was trying to show that they were vulnerable to DDoS attacks so that they could prevent them in future. This comes back to what I said about him being too naive. He genuinely thought he was making the right decision by ddosing.
It's pretty much impossible to protect any kind of server against ddos attacks
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

Mr.Mackey wrote:
Konijn wrote:His actions were stupid but his intent was good. He was trying to show that they were vulnerable to DDoS attacks so that they could prevent them in future. This comes back to what I said about him being too naive. He genuinely thought he was making the right decision by ddosing.
Wrong.

- Benjamin Franklin
Mr.Mackey

Post by Mr.Mackey »

Shadi wrote:
Mr.Mackey wrote:
Wrong.
Prove it that it isn't impossible... How come if it's possible to block ddos attacks, giant companies like Sony, Microsoft and VISA all failed to prevent one (not mentioning the huge amount of $ they have to invest in the IT infrastructure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of- ... d_response

Even with all those securities, a network cannot handle the huge external communications requests.
xReii^

Post by xReii^ »

For me a person who DDos is perm ban no matter what can unbanlance it out. But thats why theres more than 1 opinion on that to decide.

In general:
QuickSilver wrote:What...The...Fuck...
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

Mr.Mackey wrote:
Prove it that it isn't impossible... How come if it's possible to block ddos attacks, giant companies like Sony, Microsoft and VISA all failed to prevent one (not mentioning the huge amount of $ they have to invest in the IT infrastructure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of- ... d_response

Even with all those securities, a network cannot handle the huge external communications requests.
Those are not simple ddos measures. And those big companies are not necessarily good, Sony's shit was hacked not too long ago. A guy like Maki would never be able to hurt any of those companies though. Just give them a little extra traffic.

- Benjamin Franklin
Gotouda Aki

Post by Gotouda Aki »

Can't really compare an attack on a multimillion company and a small CS community. There's a huge difference in skills which comes to DDOSing and hacking and what so ever. I doubt one of those who DDOS Sony will come DDOS our little community.
And for their skills (the one who DDOS us) I believe it would be possible to block if we had people that are experienced more in that.
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

What Mr. Mackey said is correct, actually. It is /IMPOSSIBLE/ to block DDoS attacks. That is why high profile sites such as twitter and thewhitehouse.gov are frequently in the news for being taken down for x minutes due to ddos attacks. There are of course ways to mitigate DDoS attacks. Depending on the amount of investment, amount of servers you have, transit and load balancing setup then you can block pretty large attacks. Unfortunately almost every ddos mitigation procedure is incompatible with gaming/UDP traffic as well. Most DDoS mitigation is for web servers.

Anyway not everyone is an expert in how the Internet works so Maki probably thought there was something that could be done which wasn't being done.
Shadi
neonDragon Amdin

Post by Shadi »

It's not impossible. Thing is most of the services, especially Cloudflare, are very bad at detecting. Some of them are privately coded. Thing is people find ways to circumvent or trick the blockers. You can set a blocker to protect a certain port, and if you set it to your webserver (usually 80) with a well-coded one it shouldn't just mitigate the attack. I never said it was easy but it should be possible.

- Benjamin Franklin
Jellow

Post by Jellow »

You guys understand this isnt a topic to debate ddos-ing right? :)
Konijn
neonDragon Admin

Post by Konijn »

Shadi wrote:It's not impossible. Thing is most of the services, especially Cloudflare, are very bad at detecting. Some of them are privately coded. Thing is people find ways to circumvent or trick the blockers. You can set a blocker to protect a certain port, and if you set it to your webserver (usually 80) with a well-coded one it shouldn't just mitigate the attack. I never said it was easy but it should be possible.
You are wrong sir. With enough bandwidth one could take down all of cloudfare's servers. Seriously Shadi, I have qualifications in this subject and 5 years real world experience. DDoS attacks cannot be 100% guaranteed blocked.
Lien~

Post by Lien~ »

Jellow wrote:You guys understand this isnt a topic to debate ddos-ing right? :)
What he said. If you all want to discuss the DDoSsing then make a topic about it or something. This is a serieus thread so dont come with completely different (useless) discussions ;)

Return to “Leaving Threads”